This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Claude2012 Claude2012 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Claude2012
    Claude2012
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I recently replaced all the front end bushes with Nolethane, with the exception of the ones for the steering rack and put some new ball joints in. Made an amazing difference to the handling and personally I dont think the Nolethane makes the ride that harsh.

My father and I managed to smash it out in 4 hours which I was reasonably impressed with as well.

The car is currently on King low springs, which I am happy with especially in relation to the height.

Now for the final piece of the puzzle, should I put a strut brace on? Can anyone elaborate on their experiences with these?

Cheers

"If your going through hell, keep going!"

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

I think it improved steering response when I fitted one on my old VN, turn in was better.  Could also notice a difference when jacking the car up, things didn’t flex as much.  If you disconnected one side and jacked it up the strut towers would move apart a little and you couldn’t get the bolt back in.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

The front end just felt tighter going into corners. Defiently notice the difference when you jack it up.

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

I’d put a proper adjustable on now. Saves doing it once your strut towers crack and separate like so many others have

Profile photo of SSEN8R VS #1081
    SSEN8R VS #1081
    Participant
    Supporter

Mate, I’m a strut brace fan! when you turn the steering wheel, the whole car will flex, once it’s flexed, then it’ll start moving the direction you turned. With a strut brace, there will be less flex, so it’ll turn quicker. doesn’t affect the ride quality at all.

I used to live in the Adelaide hills and drove this same death trap road everyday. I used to know it like the back of my hand. there was one corner with ripple bumps in the centre of the road. I used to run the car right up on, and sometimes over them. After I got the strut brace there was a whole foot between the wheel and the bumps. I couldn’t believe it. I did have all the shocks / springs / bushes done for 6 months or so before I got the struct brace.

I even consider getting one in the boot – rear strut brace! anyone got one?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Think of the Engine bay as an open cardboard box… a bit wobbly/flexy now put a lid on the box less wobble/flex  :XD:

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

+1 for strut brace

Profile photo of Claude2012
    Claude2012
    Participant

Will put one on the xmas list! Just discovered the previous owner put the springs on the wrong side, they are marked left and right and oops they are arse about….

"If your going through hell, keep going!"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.