HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralDrivelineVs tailshaft to diff bolts

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of thatotherguy94 thatotherguy94 9 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of thatotherguy94
    thatotherguy94
    Participant

having trouble trying to get the 4 bolts / nuts out that hold the tail shaft to the diff, any tricks to getting them out? Thanks

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

There a prick of a thing

iv had like 3 sets jammed over my time

iv tryed every thing from multi grips and getting Arnie to come help squeeze them on, you must a good set of multis for this, not the old stuffed out set in a water filled tool box

to using a blow torch trying to heat the nut

most of the time is all about getting the open end spanner on the right way, 1 way it will strip easier and the other way it will grip more and getting the revolution of wheels in right spot and applying hand brake

its just a prick but persistence gets it

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

You can only loosen one side. One side has a taper and that locks the nut in and so you can’t turn it. Been a while since I did it but pay attention and you should be able to pick it. Think you have to crack the tailshaft side.

I should add this is with live axle. Have no experience with irs but think diff flange would be similar to same deal?

Profile photo of thatotherguy94
    thatotherguy94
    Participant

Thanks, got it off eventually. Ended up cutting one off and then the rest unboted

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.