HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralInterior & TrimVs senator rear headrests

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of OZ38 OZ38 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of thatotherguy94
    thatotherguy94
    Participant

Ive got a set of senator seats to go into my car and just wondering what people have done about the rear headrest brackets.  Do they need to be attached to the body or have people just left them off? If they have been put on how were they done. I have attached a pic of the bracket im taking about.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I neve had brackets. I just put the head rests in.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea mate they bolt through the rear sheet metal bulkhead behind the seat through those two 10mm holes. I sat in the boot to bolt mine up.  I may have a pic not sure let me see if i can find one for ya.

thatotherguy94
    Participant

Thanks that would be great

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not the greatest pic, but you can see the two holes each side.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I have had one come out when I did a tip in  so now they cable tied

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

My VS Hsv Manta ones are bolted in with some m8 (possibly m10) bolts by memory, you can just see one in this photo, managed to make it bigger

defiantly put them in properly, i recon you will damage the rear foams otherwise

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    thatotherguy94
    Participant

Thanks guys, exactly the answers I was looking for

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

I had brackets but never attached them. Never had any issues with mine but no burnouts/donuts/drifting etc. They were pretty tight. Think securing the bracket would be more important of you intend on moving headrests up and down so it doesn’t damage the seat. No one ever sat on mine so no danger there.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

You need to fit them otherwise in an accident the pins could impale someone. Thats why they are bolted/welded in.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea I agree, I reckon from a safety point of view worth attaching them, they are there for a reason.  Btw, I could have been wrong above, they may have been M8 bolts :)

sands vs
    Participant

They have brackets mounted to the rear bulkhead.  They are the same as the brackets used in the Caprice (except the Caprice ones are spot-welded into place).

Granges & other models fitted with the rear seats that have the seperate headrests are like this.

The brackets go in first, then the seats go in, then the headrest retaining tubes are fitted down into place before finally inserting the headrest.
    I would recommend not fitting the circlips into the top of the tubes!  The tubes are the same as what is under the trim on the front seats too – same piece from VN-VS.

I put the rear seats out of a VS2 Grange into a mate’s VR (redid the side wings to suit the sedan).  We got the brackets from the donor car, along with the trim.

Here’s pics of the brackets:

The rolled over edge on the top allows you to locate it on the rear bulkhead, but you still have to align them side-to-side.

The holes go through the pressed ridge in the boot side of the bulkhead, as shown in the 2 pics below:

Bolted up in place.  The washers on the back allow you to bolt them down securely, and still tighten the nuts up.

You’ll have buckleys of finding the HSV ones.  They are the ‘raw’ ones before they are spot welded into the Caprice.  So the next best bet is to source them from a VR/VS Caprice.

Here’s a donor car we got another set from.  You can see where they were in one pic, and the other pic shows the swiss cheese job – drilling out all the spot welds to release them off the bulkhead.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    sands vs
    Participant

You will notice the bolt holes are drilled into the reinforced part of the panel too for strength.

In a severe accident the head goes back with force into the head rest/restraint.  If they are not secured the inertia of the head against it can be enough to push the metal pins into someones back and impale them that’s why they need to be secured. It could act as a projectile as well. Just my 2 cents.

We were also looking at welding the bolt to the plate makes removal later much easier. So you can undo nut from the boot making much easier to remove the seat

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Funny how they weld one model, and bolt others, my manta ones were out of a very original manta, and they were bolted in, and by brackets were bare steel, they had a bit of surface rust on them when I had to pull them back out after a few months so I cleaned them up and painted them

i still can’t work out why a vs manta which is a base model HSV gets the VR senator rear seat setup

Does anyone else find the plastic tubes that fit in the bracket and hold the headrests up a real pain to remove when pulling the seats out, I made up a “tool” to remove them, using a slightly cut down silicone nozel tip

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s a fantastic write up Sands, great stuff.  I wish I had seen this before putting mine back together, took me a while to work out the way to do it is tubes last :good:

“The brackets go in first, then the seats go in, then the headrest retaining tubes are fitted down into place before finally inserting the headrest.”

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Great Post Sands, good info!

Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

So glad I found this Thread. I just picked up a (almost) full set of the HSV Devonish Seats & door cards for the VS Commy. I was wondering about those rear head rest brackets as the guy selling them just said “you’ll work it out it’s easy”.

The set was missing the rear passengers door card, so I’m hoping I can find a good auto trimmer in WA who can replicate one for me.

The tubes do look like they would be a pain later when wanting to take the seats out. Might have to look at making “The special removal tool” too.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Good stuff, that’s why forums are so good.  They are a good place to store knowledge/info like this.  Btw you got a build thread on your car mate?

Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

Good stuff, that’s why forums are so good. They are a good place to store knowledge/info like this. Btw you got a build thread on your car mate?

No build thread yet. I should start one soon as I am getting close to putting the VS Commy off the road to add the mountain of parts I have compiled for it. Some that know me know it has been a very very long time coming or still coming lol.

I might try transferring stuff over from the other forum that looks to be almost dead now.

Cheers

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.