This topic contains 449 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 4 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 451 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Looking good  B-)

What was the final size/offset on those rear rims?

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

They really suit that mate, they really look great.  Is it just my eye or have you got camber issues too on the rears?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

How do those tires handle in the wet and dry. They looks very circuit (need to get up to temp) orientated. You need to sort out some center caps also.

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

I have twisted that camber kits around matching it to other side and twisting them seeing what there measurments are when in different posistions when measuring tyres and at the moment it is cambered in 5mm more then drivers side witch i havent touched

I have also pulled pulled front struts in to about 3 degrees as i have adjustable top mounts

Because the car gets driven so little im goin to run a bit of camber on it something like 2+ degrees as i really couldnt give a shit about tyres and would prefeer handling

Yes centre caps are in the works

Goin to get mate leon to machin me some up and goin to get imbroidery mod to engrave HSV symbol into them

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Go no idea how they handle yet

Car doesnt get driven in the wet and if it ever suprise rains on me i baby it home so will never know about the wet

In the dry they are a bit of a track tyre so will be interesting how they handle

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Goin to get mate leon to machin me some up and goin to get imbroidery mod to engrave HSV symbol into them

You know someone who could design you up a custom set and 3D print them…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Looks mint  :yes:  You gotta love it when a plan works out!

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Immorality there 18 by 8 @ 40p and 18 by 10 @ 31p

what would they made of if you printed them Gary ??

Yes this one has worked out well

something that was odd that I mentioned to Gary on a phone call a while back was left and right off sets want to be different

on drivers side it wanted to be 29p and passenger side wanted to be 33p

that is to keep a 295 tyre in exact centre with like 6 mm clearance from the inner gaurd where back seat would be on other side of it and highest point of outer gaurd

dont know if it’s just my car or if they are all like that but myn was

Immortality
    Participant

Have you had the rear subframe out?

Holden have a special tool to centre the whole subframe/diff to the chassis so maybe your’s needs a slight adjustment?

I’m also lead to believe that using the adjustable camber/toe bush kits can alter the wheel track as well so getting a wheel alignment done may help solve the problem.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality. Reason: add
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

I distroyed the orgional sub frame in this car, split 3/4 the way around it

had this one in and out a few times but I really can not see how it could be adjusted, when them 2 big bolt go in there is no moving it anywhere at  all

i have heard ears this with ford sub frames as well but again I can not see anyway it could be adjusted at all

The car tracks nice and straight so I’m not concerned

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

It does a bit yes but moving the passenger side for a hour I could not get it to match the drivers side lol

even measuring from back door to rim on both sides it’s different by about 5mm

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea we spoke about this didn’t we Pete, I think its just manufacturing tolerances of when all the panels go together.  Lets face it 6mm from one whole side of a car to the other isn’t that much for a car built in the early 90s.  My car side to side measured pretty equal, and I do see what you mean about moving the sub frame, its pretty fixed.  What i didn’t realize until Pete pointed it out is how on the passenger side the front of where the spare is in the boot sticks out a bit and needs to be massage back a little for clearance on bump.

When I made the center caps for Jake I made them out of ABS, he then sanded and painted them and they came up mint.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

:nice: I’m waiting for the send off for the old tires

Immortality
    Participant

To adjust the subframe you need to loosen of the main bolt that holds the subframe bush but you also need to loosen the 3 bolts that holds the subframe bush to the chassis (on each side) as this is where the movement occurs.  Don’t forget to loosen off the 4 bolts for the diff mount.

Send my your email addy and I’ll give you a copy of the factory info for doing the subframe, it’s for the VT/VX but the principles are the same.

BTW, those centre caps looks awesome Gary  :cool

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Send my your email addy and I’ll give you a copy of the factory info for doing the subframe, it’s for the VT/VX but the principles are the same. 

Any way to post that info up on the forum mate, I for one would love to check it out.  After I first did my car I took it to a very old school race suspension set up guy to get a base line for the front & rears.  Now you have me wondering if he did the rear alignment without me knowing and that’s why mine is even?

BTW, those centre caps looks awesome Gary

I was really happy with how the design evolved, that was back in the SC days.  Jake though organized the painting etc so deserves a lot of the credit, I reckon they turned out great.

And remember they can be fully custom, whatever you want, I toyed with the idea of making a set of mine with HSV454 in them.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Immortality
    Participant

I have sent you a PM :-)

Any way to post that info up on the forum mate, I for one would love to check it out. After I first did my car I took it to a very old school race suspension set up guy to get a base line for the front & rears. Now you have me wondering if he did the rear alignment without me knowing and that’s why mine is even?

BTW, those centre caps looks awesome Gary

I was really happy with how the design evolved, that was back in the SC days. Jake though organized the painting etc so deserves a lot of the credit, I reckon they turned out great. And remember they can be fully custom, whatever you want, I toyed with the idea of making a set of mine with HSV454 in them.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Well took it for a drive last night, the car goes hard as

so hard that a 3rd to 4th gear change at 7000rpm caused my rear view mirror to snapped off and landed between the passenger seat and centre console lid  :yes: where my passenger got it

I didn’t even know it broke off till he said why is this mirror here lol

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Ha ha. Thats good. Nice work vs manta. Sounds great the new wheels look sweet suit the car loads better.  :good:

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Few pics of how it sits these days

glad photos dont show all my imperfections lol, there is a few of them lol

looking back through, yeah Gary we spoke about how tolerances are pretty poor in cars, even today cars can be wicked out of square sometimes, and may speak to you more about the centre caps soon to

cars running good, got a new set of head gaskets coming soon along with head studs in preparation of a few more degrees timing coming up soon as we where always concerned about its old tune on 98 so thought better be safe then sorry

see If a dirty old Holden built in a shed can crack 500rwkw

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Mate seriously that looks bloody fantastic. The black wheels and offset just nail it.  Awesome :good:   :good:

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 451 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.