HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineVS II Ecotec hard to start when cold

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of thatotherguy94 thatotherguy94 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of thatotherguy94
    thatotherguy94
    Participant

I’m having a bit of trouble with my Calais at the moment with cold starts in the morning and in the afternoon when I finish work.
    Basically it just keeps cranking over and wont actually start until I turn it off and on again, and when it eventually does start it runs a bit crappy for a few seconds and then runs fine. Drives fine otherwise other then the trans shifting hard sometimes (unrelated problem I think?). I’ve checked for codes and it only brings up code 73 which is the trans problem. Once its been started it will fire straight away again a within a couple of hours, after that it does the same thing again. Anyone got any ideas on what it could be?
    Last service it had new plugs, leads, fuel filter plus the usual service bits. Its been doing it for a while now but seems to be getting worse. Thanks

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

I’d be looking at either leaking injectors and/or leaking intake manifold gaskets.  Does it use any coolant at all?

The other possibility is the fuel system isn’t holding pressure (either the non-return valve in the fuel pump or the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the Fuel Rain).  Another possibility (but much less likely) is the PCM signal for the fuel pump relay isn’t working and it’s not getting any fuel pressure until the engine has been cranked over a bit to get enough oil pressure and trigger the fuel pump relay.

Most common problems though are leaky injectors and stuffed intake gaskets.

thatotherguy94
    Participant

Thanks, doesn’t use any coolant and the intake gaskets were done just before I got the car so I think those would be fine, might try and swap the fuel rail over and see if that fixes the problem

thatotherguy94
    Participant

Started it this morning and it smelt a bit like fuel after so it probably is a leaking injector? A better battery seems to also have helped.

Profile photo of DJ Cosmic Fire
    DJ Cosmic Fire
    Participant
    • Gold Coast
    • Oct \'91 VP S-Pack Sedan Jul \'99 VT SrsII Wagon My \'13 VE SV6 Sedan

• View build HERE

Usually those symptoms points towards the IAC (Idle Air Control) Throttle Body Sensor not performing as it should. Take the Throttle body off & give it a good clean & renew the IAC & TPS whilst your at it, as the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) has a large influence on general auto shifting.

thatotherguy94
    Participant

An update to this, put a new fuel pump in and it seems to be starting a lot easier and running a lot better now, also fixed a couple of small things ive noticed since owning the car so must have been on its way out for a while now. Also noticing better fuel economy going off what the dash says since changing the pump so thats a bonus

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.