This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of doz10 doz10 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of thatotherguy94
    thatotherguy94
    Participant

Ill be dropping my motor back into the car soon and just wondering if ill be able to start the motor and run the cam in on the standard tune. It has a crane 268 cam in it, would it run ok with the standard chip or does it need a different one? Im also thinking of putting a bigger throttle body 70mm throttle body on as I broke a couple of studs off in my original one, would this also need to be tuned for? Thanks

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

i’d doubt the car would need a tune for  just the 70mm throttle, but if its got  new cam might as well tune the whole lot properly

thatotherguy94
    Participant

Ok thanks, I do plan on getting it tuned to suit the cam but would like to be able to at least drive it out the shed as its a bit hard to move when its not running

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

yeah im in the same boat. my engine is a fair step bit different from original though so im going to speak to the tuner soon and see what he suggests, will probably will end up getting it towed down to him in st marys and get a basic tune done to run everything in then take it back there after a few months once its all run in, get proper tune done

but i’ll see what he says first

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

it all depends what other modifications you’ve done, admittedly I only have a 284 cam but I have ported heads, flowed and port matched banana inlet and roller rockers and I ran my cam in without a tune it wasn’t exactly happy but it still ran ok

thatotherguy94
    Participant

Its got roller rockers (standard ratio) and its been decked just to clean it up and make sure it seals properly  I think, other then that its fairly standard just freshened up

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

it should be safe enough to run the cam in and to move it in and out of the shed till you get a new chip for it I wouldn’t be driving it on the road till it has a proper tune to suit the cam though, I just put my new chip from ace performance in the ss and I couldn’t be happier the old girl run beautifully now, can’t wait to get it back on the road

Profile photo of Hoopstar
    Hoopstar
    Participant

The 268 cam is a baby cam.  The original tune would be fine to run it in on but as suggested, far from ideal for driving.

Doz – how did you find the 284 with the bananas?  What comp?

thatotherguy94
    Participant

Was fine for running in and seems to be ok driving it around on the standard tune once the timing was set right. Still want to get it tuned properly though.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Was fine for running in and seems to be ok driving it around on the standard tune once the timing was set right. Still want to get it tuned properly though.

Sorry mate, the quickest, easiest and most common reason for killing and engine is cause people think “their” ok and drive them un tuned.

It is the single most important part of modifying engines.

If you can’t afford or have time for the tune. Park it up. I know so many people who have regretted it later on, because they said it will be ok.

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

hey Paul, I’m pretty happy with the 284 cam and bananas, however they aren’t stock, it’s a fataz highflowed manifold port matched to the ported heads still not as good as an aftermarket manifold no doubt but like I said I’m pretty happy with the setup for now, it’s basically just ported heads flowed manifold 70mm throttle, 284 cam, yt roller rockers, factory stock bottom end and ice ignition, making 210rwhp and 800ft torque so it’s safe to say it’s a whole lot better than stock, running through a t5 and stock 3.08 LSD, next step is m80 diff and later model brakes with a strengthened cradle

Profile photo of Hoopstar
    Hoopstar
    Participant

Nice work Doz..  Actually fairly decent results for fairly mild combo.

The low comp kills these engines and the stock manifold ensures it.

Doing a very mild VR304 into VK Calais as we speak so interested in these results.

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

Yeah I knew I had two major restrictions with the bananas and low comp which is why I’m happy enough with it for now, and just want to strengthen the irs setup before I rebuild the balanced 304 from my Calais, it was running 20 pound of vortech boost brfore so I want to give it a full rebuild and throw some flat top pistons and a decent solid cam and manifold on it and then see what a 304 can do, just hope the t5 lasts long enough to get a t56 for the old girl, it should be pretty cranky then

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.