This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Hey fellas just curious got an 85 amp alternator in the vr and a new battery and just recently it seems to be dying all the time guessing the alternator cant keep up with the draw from amp stereo, headlights, au thermos, davies craig water pump??? Curious if i got a 100amp wether it would be safe or best going to an auto electrician??

Because at the moment i seem to be charging the battery every 6 or 7 trips at around 70kms eachtrip?

cheers any help would be great.  :good:   :good:

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

ive got a 120amp (jas oceania) alternator currently on my VS, is a rewound version of a 85amp amp alternator

you will be best upgrading the charge wire if you do upgrade it

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Yeah been thinking about getting a 100 amp to throw in and see how it goes for a while. There is definitly more coming out of the battery than going into it. Just got a multimeter :scratch:   :scratch:  so i might try and teach myself how that works see if i can work out how many amps is being drained out then il know what i need??? By getting a bigger amp alternator than what i need is dangerous is that right???

Much rather ask you felas on here to get some experience with different things. :good:

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

No danger, the alternator will only put out what is required.  The only real danger is having a really grunty alternator but not upgrading the main charge cable as this will limit the current draw and cause the cable to run really hot.

Unfortunately the standard type multimeter isn’t capable of measuring the type of current your the alterator can put out.

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Yeah noticed that. Ha ha. But i did check the brand new battery i got only like 2 months ago and the reading was 12.85 volts?? Might just grab a 100 amp alternator and upgrade the charge cable to something beefy and fingers crossed i might be in luck.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

If you want to check the resting voltage of the battery you would need to check it  a fair while after shutting down the car as it takes some time for the battery to settle from the higher charging voltage.

Get at least the next size up from the cable you have now.  The V6 Commodores were notorious for frying the charge cables because of the higher electrical loads.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.