This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,102 replies, has 82 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,961 through 1,980 (of 2,106 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Could just get a safety check done while you wait, just an inspection and check of nuts/bolts etc. Can do oils and plugs yourself, that way they don’t have it for too long and wont be out for a test drive

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Pity about the distance I’d be happy to give it a once over..

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Problem is it would be AWD by the time I got it back ;-)

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Problem is it would be AWD by the time I got it back

lol

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Least it would put the power down….sort of :ninja:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Least it would put the power down….sort of

How cool would it be :yes:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, the weather forecast looks good, so I reckon its a goer.  Given it more thought and I think IJ has a good point.  It seems almost every time I give the car to someone something happens or I am not happy.  And yes I will 100% agree that the common denominator is me, so maybe I am a big part of the problem!!  But anyhow, crazy-busy dealing with my Dad ‘s health at the moment.  But I think I will stay home Friday and check it over myself.  I think I am probably being a little paranoid, I think its time to get this out back on the road properly. And it has all been spun up on the dyno with no issues.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well that’s was an interesting day, first chance i have had to get on here, did a brief post on FB.

Had a day off Wednesday so decided to go over the car on the hoist, checked over everything (more on that later) and it all seemed good to go.  I did find two of each of the engine mount bolts weren’t fully tight, I reckon that was me fitting the exhaust, etc and only doing two up and forgetting to come back.

Decided to go for a drive, fired it up, drove out of the gate, down to the local servo, filled up.  Gingerly pulled out of the servo, and a “ping” and a weird-ass noise, drop in oil pressure and running rough…shit.  Old enough and wise enough to shut it down coasted around the corner out of the way.  Head scratch, def sounded like up high on passenger side rocker cover.  Got out the tool kit I have made up, removed the rocker cover, couldn’t see anything immediately obvious but it was hot as so couldnt really have a good look.  Gawler Mechanical was literally 100m up the road so walked up to see Brett (and calm down)  He wasn’t sure, I said shall I flatbed it here or drive.  he said does it have oil pressure, I said yep 20psi.  he said just very slowly get it here which I did.  Left it with him, called him an hour later.  Turns out the bolts on one of the rockers broke.  No idea why, apparently lifter was great, nothing else untoward.  He put it back together, spun it up on the starter, redid the lash, seemed fine.  Road-tested it was perfect.  So happy days went and got it.

Decided to go for a cruise.  Pulled onto the Northern Expressway, running nice but hunting a little and the odd fart at 110.  Noticed the fuel pressure was sitting at 54psi.  So pulled over, tool kit again, and adjusted the reg to 60 psi.  Took off, beautiful, way nicer, not stuttering, etc.  Again in retrospect should have checked that before.

Going along enjoying life, won’t lie in retrospect thought the ass end felt a little odd on throttle lift.  Anyhow got 30 mins up the road to Nuri, went up over the bridge and came back to Gawler.  Got about 5 mins down the road, and pop, bang bang bang.  Pulled over, wtf?  Get under and there’s one of the drive shafts hanging down not connected to the outer flange.  So RAA, and flatbed home.

So no real damage is done, I think in retrospect I should have checked the bolts were torqued up when I checked everything else.  I didn’t, so my bad.  Anyhow, live and learn.  I reckon it would have flogged the threads on the outer flange, so am getting one from a wrecker, so tomorrows job is to swap the flange, and check the drive shaft, etc and bolt it all up.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well following IJ’s build and skills I feel a bit like an amateur!!  Picked up a rear arm from a local wrecker.  Having done this before I knew the trick was to be able to lock it off so you can get some real purchase on the bolts.  So drilled a scrap piece of RHS I had lying around to use as a locking bar.  Worked a treat.  I really don’t understand how they all loosed like they did, I checked the other side and they were OK.  But got it all back together this time with some 680 Loctite for good measure.  Took it for a long drive just now, beautiful.  Did its first fast food drive though at KFC here in Galwer, sounds so nice at idle.  Happy days (again).

Profile photo of

The bearings in there aren’t a fun job either  :yes:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I know right, when I built it I rebuilt the whole lot.  I remember having a strap from the roof of the shed supporting one arm of the swing arm and getting Sue to help me get it in position in the press.  Absolute @#$% of a job!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Been looking around at filtration for the street, looked at getting some custom ones made via a company IJ passed on.  While I was playing around with the design I did some research and sure enough, Jenvey themselves have come up with a really nice solution that fits over the aluminum air horns.  I think they should look nice. For what they are not a bad price either.  So they are on the way.  That’s should sort me for a while anyway  :yes:

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

filters look great how long are they likely to take to arrive?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not too sure, normally as long as Aussie Post isn’t involved things from overseas come pretty quickly :wacko: I agree I think they will look nice and neat, and also be functional, just what I want.

After the success I had at Gawler Mechanical last week, I decided to drop the car off to them this morning.  I am not totally sure it’s charging at full strength, but tbh cbf spending the time myself diagnosing it. So going to get them to take a look, then I thought I might buy an hour of their time and get them to just go over it, check everything is torqued up, etc.

From the start, I was hoping to find someone local that could do small stuff on it that I trusted.   They did an excellent job with the rocker, so fingers crossed.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, annual leave booked for next Thursday as fingers crossed, that’s supposedly OK weather-wise.  Then it’s the road trip across to Frank for the bonnet.  Then I have it booked in with Bonez for a full detail the week after, ready for display at “Holdens Back Home” on Saturday the 7th.  Which is actually a karting race weekend so going to be pretty busy!!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Air cleaners have arrived, really like the look of them!!  The only issue I have is on the weekend I dug out what I thought was all the old Jenvey stuff and of course one of the aluminium air horns is missing :unsure:   I am thinking its somewhere between the garage and the 3D printing room when I was doing the cold air induction box, but may have to bite the bullet and order a replacement from the UK.  But hopefully, that should put to bed the air filtration for street use for now.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, wish me, luck team.  The bonnet is done and ready to be picked up.  Have booked a day off tomorrow and doing the 2-hour drive across to Walleroo to pick it up then back again.  Won’t lie I am a bit nervous about such a relatively long drive.  Fingers crossed :whistle:

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

luck you’ll be right :good:   :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks, well decided its the perfect time to fit the filters.  Have to say I love them.  Just beautifully elegant, yet functional design.  Absolutely perfect for street duties.  Have done as much prep as I possibly can. Bring it on.

Profile photo of

I wouldn’t hesitate to drive your car around Australia Gary, have some confidence  :yes:

Viewing 20 posts - 1,961 through 1,980 (of 2,106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.