This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,102 replies, has 82 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,761 through 1,780 (of 2,106 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cheers mate, the Yella Terra ones would be the go.  I love my rocker covers with the LSx454 logo, so I really would like something to work with them.  Cheers for that :good:

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Great shed day today, just about there.  Just waiting on the push rods.  Then its fit them, and the roller rockers and adjust them.  Then off the engine stand, and fit the flex plate then dyno time!!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

looking the good. How’s your catch can setup. Never noticed the big line on the passenger side.

Also so what’s the smaller braided fittings under engine? Power steer??

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Haven’t worked out what I am doing with the catch can.  At the moment I have a big one down on the passenger side by the rad, and was running one big line from each rocker cover to it.  But that as it turns out was because the motor was shagged and had so much blow by.  It would be legal if I fitted a “sealed” top to it for street duties then ran it vented at a track, tbh haven’t decided.  Will depend a little on how much it breathes with the rebuild.

Braided lines at bottom are to the remote oil filter that is up under the passenger guard.  I will fit it for when it goes down to the dyno.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Great looking engine, keen to hear it running. Will you get any vids of it on the engine dyno?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi guys, sorry havent been able to get near a computer for a few days.  Hell yea there will be dyno vids!!!

On a sour note the bloody pushrods still aren’t here, but on the positive IJ is bringing over my VL 5L early next week :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well as the old saying goes, “It’s all happening!!”  The pushrods rocked up today, so really good news, this weekend the aim is to get it all finally screwed together then early next week down for dyno time  :good:

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Hi guys, sorry havent been able to get near a computer for a few days. Hell yea there will be dyno vids!!! On a sour note the bloody pushrods still aren’t here, but on the positive IJ is bringing over my VL 5L early next week

ROAD TRIP  :yahoo:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Lol, lucky you didnt come today, its 38 degrees here now!!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Not much cooler here..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Much cooler now mate, good traveling weather ;-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That was a busy weekend.  IJ came over and delivered the VL, will do a post on that thread later.  But spent a great day Saturday and got all the rockers etc installed and the lash set.  Tried to be as methodical as possible.  And this morning I took the engine down to Brenton.  Got to say it’s about the most nervous I have been driving since first driving the Senator in traffic.  But hopefully now in the coming days, we can get to hear this bad boy on the dyno and see what it makes.  Stay tuned….

Few pics

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

What method did you use when working out your geometry? Mid lift?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Brenton did that Cav, tbh I watched him but didn’t take a whole lot of notice!!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, this long saga continues.  Brenton was off crook before Xmas, so no dyno, THR just rang me (they have been good with communication) and it seems he has next week off, then is back for a week then off again.  I guess its sit back and wait, I’m getting good at that  :cry:   At least I have the VL to keep me occupied.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Surely it’s been on the dyno. Wtf is he doing.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

I have been chasing a drive line vibration/harshness for a while. Be stuffed if I could find what was causing it, checked, triple checked underneath, all looked good. Decided to try going to rubber engine mounts rather than the Tuff mounts I had in there. Changed the fronts, engine definitely bounces around more under load. Eventually went to change the rear transmission mount and bingo. On the Tuff Mount design the retaining bolts can not be any longer than the thickness of the mount. If they are they go through and bear on the mating half, essentially locking it solid. The bolt length doesn’t matter on the standard T400 mount, as they go into fresh air. So changed to the T400, and its as smooth as a gravy sandwich. I did find the rubber engine mounts crapped out very quickly, they just cant handle the torque of the 454, so I have now gone back tot the Tuff Mounts for the engine, and the regular T400 rubber for the transmission. It seems to be a really nice compromise between harshness and rigidity.

I was reading this. How harsh is it now with the rubber box mount?? Its better but whats it like now overall

Also can you just run a rubber stock mount with a ls2/3 auto box a standard one?

Which rubber mounts did you chop out fast which design from who ?

Basically im looking into doing to ls3 auto(6l80) swap and dont want it harsh at all even with a rubber box mount. I was wondering if I could do what you did with the rubber mount for this setup. I assume its just a stock rubber mount from a commodore if so what model?

Cheers

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi mate, well I think really with anything with any sort of power/torque you need to go to a Tuff mount style pair of front engine mounts as otherwise, it allows too much movement.  And there isn’t a lot of clearance anywhere really.  It’s pretty good with the T400 rubber rear trans mount, but not sure there would be a huge difference between that and if I went to the Tuff mount.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Dam got all excited thought the monster had been released on the dyno :cry: :cry: :cry:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Dam got all excited thought the monster had been released on the dyno

You and me both mate, the wait is seriously killing me, fml…

Viewing 20 posts - 1,761 through 1,780 (of 2,106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.