This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,102 replies, has 82 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 461 through 480 (of 2,106 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Very interesting reading the latest Street Machine LSx Tuner mag. Guy with a killa blue meanie replica running an LSA, hes running mid 9s, has powerglide, 3.5 rear, 3500 stall.  I reckon what I am going for is preety spot on (hopefully!)

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Very interesting reading the latest Street Machine LSx Tuner mag. Guy with a killa blue meanie replica running an LSA, hes running mid 9s, has powerglide, 3.5 rear, 3500 stall. I reckon what I am going for is preety spot on (hopefully!)

Steve is a mate of a mate. Mine will be basically identicle.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

its a beautiful car, great numbers too.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Project Powerglide progressing nicely.  Actually funny to see it up on someone elses hoist.  Old box is out, looks like I had started to fry it again, really think if I had really given it some welly it might have gone bang in a big way, I (and they) just think its the torque.  Anyhow, they have done a nice job of the speedo reluctor ring idea we came up with, so converter is being spaced to suit as I have the 10mm starter swap plate in there, then box will go up to measure for the tail shaft mod.  Also think it may not need to mod the bell housing to clear the starter gear like a 65e bell housing which is a plus.  I reckon realistically it may not be finished next week but will see.  I told them I would rather they took a little more time and got it 100% right.  Few pics for posterity;

Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

Wow that Reid housing looks schmick :)

Really glad to see you’re so close to having it finished (at least in terms of having it reliable drive-it-as-much-as-you-want-whenever -you-want).

But part of me still keeps thinking: “what if… T56 Magnum…”

Hope all goes well with the install :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks for that, I reckon it may have a manual one day, but for now the glide I think will be perfect for what I want.

Anyhow, I just love custom builds, nothing every seems easy…  So it turns out the glide is significantly smaller in the body, but the pan area is actually quite a bit wider than a 4L65e. Also the shift lever out of the box sits quite a bit lower than a 65e.   So the headers as they sit now sit against the side of the pan and are very close to the shift lever.  :cry:   Mutter mutter, curse curse, anyhow, been around looking at it up on the hoist, have come up with a couple of ideas to try and fix the problem with the minimum amount of messing around.  Not sure how that will go, there really is so little room to work with down around the steering shaft and the other side.  Anyhow, stay tuned….

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well I guess nothing worth while is ever easy!!  So I had a long think about the exhaust issue.  Basically it looks like I would have to pretty much wreck the Paccies to get them to go around the glide,.  Tbh I always knew they weren’t the correct option, 1 3/4″ primaries are simply too small for a 454.  When you look at the power curve you can see it start to nose over at about 6k which I am sure is the pipes.  Changing to set of 1 7/8 was always in the plan.  I just couldn’t bring myself yet to pay $4k or thereabouts to have someone build me a set, and I just don’t have the expertise to build my own.  But luckily CAE have now got a set of 4 into 1, 1 7/8″ primaries for approx $1,500.  I have found two guys on facebook that have them fitted, and have chatted to them how they went and how ell they fitted, both seem to think they are pretty good.  I also rang CAE and spoke to them at length about them.  So I have ordered a set.  That way I don’t wreck a perfectly good set of Pacemakers, so if anyone is after a set for a conversion, mine are available soon, modified to exit at 3″ not 2.5″ and on my car made 508rwhp so they work nice, would be great for an LS1/2/3.  They are also ceramic coated.  Then at least I end up with the exhaust I want and the engine really needs, it should also make a little more hp, but also suit it better when I do a cam swap and tickle the heads.  They look pretty swish too I think, I reckon I will take the punt and get them ceramic coated before I fit them.  More delays, but thats how it goes I guess.

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

That piping looks bodgy as on the bottom set but I guess you have to work with what you got. Be interesting to see what difference it makes.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^not sure what you mean, they are a slip on collector style, but will get to have a good look at them when they arrive.

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

I dont see the piping as boogie

I see a 90 degree bend out of every flange near head

Every pipe has  a mild 30-45 degree bend and a more aggressive close to 90 degree bend

and 2 pipes have a extra very mild 30 degree bend

and they all look to be very similar length

so what I see is a very ballenced set of pipes that someone has spent a lot of time designing, doesnt matter if the bottom set doesnt look  symmetrical like the top set, what does matter is they flow nicely

Definetly get them coated

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Personally all I would change is the collector

get one from diffilipno or a Aeroflow collector, one that goes from 2 1/2 up to 3 inch over a 5-10 inch length

something like this or similar would work nicely

http://dpe.net.au/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_39

10 HP and a heap of torque in that change, no it’s not about every HP but is about making a set up that is as efficient as possible

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Personally 4->1 doesn’t suit your car, and with all the good work it has elsewhere perhaps properly designed extractors are worth a thought.

Naturally as-pirated, all-motor.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Just bang them on and let it be.

Your not racing pro stock and 10HP isn’t something u can really feel by the seat of pants when ur already making 500 odd rwhp.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

…..so what I see is a very balanced set of pipes that someone has spent a lot of time designing.

I agree with this, I think for an off the shelf solution they actually look pretty good.  I think for a road car, and for the $$ they will work well.

Personally all I would change is the collector

Thought about that, I saw the other thread where you mentioned it (I do read and listen to advice!!).  My thoughts are its a slip on style collector, so it’s pretty easy for me to change down the track if I want to at home when I have the time to play around and do it exactly how I want it done.  Currently its in someone elses workshop so that’s not quite so easy.  Right now I want to get the car going and having some fun with it.

Personally 4->1 doesn’t suit your car, and with all the good work it has elsewhere perhaps properly designed extractors are worth a thought.

Look I definitely agree that a purpose built set of pipes to suit my car would be lovely, really in fact is the way to go, and one day it will happen.  But its not like I am doing something that is irreversible, they are a bolt on item, and just out of curiosity it will be interesting to see how they perform.

Just bang them on and let it be. Your not racing pro stock and 10HP isn’t something u can really feel by the seat of pants when ur already making 500 odd rwhp.

I have to say this is pretty much how I feel right now. I am not trying to squeeze every last hp or ft/lb.  Its got more than enough right now for me to have a lot of fun, it can lay 11s off idle, and just about at any speed on the street, for now that’s enough until I go chasing more.

I do appreciate the advice and thoughts though, its one of the really enjoyable aspects of building the car, you guys have a lot of collective knowledge and are happy to share it, I really like that.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I just wanna see a skid…..????

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I just wanna see a skid…..????

I just want to do one….

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

I thought it was a slip on.  Do the performance world a favor and tune it with the collector supplied and down the line make a tapered one.  Then take it to dyno and do a run with the one supplied then one with the tapered.  If the tapered does help scavenging it should go slightly lean and more hp and torque.  It wont be lean enough to hurt anything but will give some results.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^looks like your Samsung/iPad weird ass posting issue is still happening so I cleaned it up for you :)

I thought it was a slip on. Do the performance world a favor and tune it with the collector supplied and down the line make a tapered one. Then take it to dyno and do a run with the one supplied then one with the tapered. If the tapered does help scavenging it should go slightly lean and more hp and torque. It wont be lean enough to hurt anything but will give some results.

Thats a great idea, I like that, back to back and see the real effect.  Will do when the time comes :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So went over and saw the boys at lunch, gearbox is in, rear mount is made up, very neat how they did that, they were able to use the original cross member with a custom bolt on adapter to the trans.  The exhaust has left CAE, so may have it tomorrow sometime, tail-shaft if off to be modified.  Once the headers are here we can see how well (or not) they mount up.  So it’s all happening  :yes:

Viewing 20 posts - 461 through 480 (of 2,106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.