HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineVL 304 Upgrade Help

This topic contains 23 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of vin vin 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So 304 in the VL is 320,000kms, running fine but fuel economy is abysmal.  Won’t start cold, unless I hit it with start ya bastard then it fires and runs fine.  Has new leads, distributor cap, plugs etc.

The eventual plan one day is to pull it out and build a nice little 355 stroker, mild cam, nothing outrageous just a nice torquey tow car.  But that may not be for a year or two at least.

It’s currently stock as, I did try rebuilding the quadrajet, but it’s just not I think running right, it idles way too fast and just-drinks fuel.

So I am thinking of ditching the quadrajet, and just go for a Holley.  So with the eventual goal in mind, what should I go for, a 600?  For now, could I run some sort of carby adapter to the original manifold or shall I change that too, I don’t want to spend much time or $$ on it, but I also don’t want to go buying or doing anything that won’t suit it when rebuild time comes.

Thoughts?

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

What about a EFI carby setup? I think Holley make a kit, comes with a handheld controller and stuff for tuning. Might still be good on a mild stroker down the track. You could start getting into the tuning side of things as well, could be a nice way to ease in.

Or grab an EFI 304 and do a conversion now, could be done relatively cheaply.

Profile photo of vin
    vin
    Participant

Yep what heron said, the holley sniper efi kit for the 304, with no major mods, though the price might hurt now but benefit with use later on when you freshen up to a 355.

For now you could just do what you were thinking as in holley 650 vac with manifold plate and a good tune and your set to go but you will still have that cold start issue of carby, versus the benefit efi has with starts and fuel economy.

Or you can convert to efi now for your motor, major mod is the manifold/throttle body and air filter box but you have to put battery and tray to the other side so airbox goes standard on passenger side. The other major mod is the 304 ecu and engine loom and adapting wiring to your original body loom plugs and possibly relays for ignition/starter/fuel pump/s. Quite easy really about 6 wires involved, also possibly need electric fuel pump/s and wiring and extra return fuel line and possible fuel tank change to vn to vs tank.

I don’t know about your tank sender unit, the vl efi 6 cyl nissan motor has the extra line and fuel sender the same as vn-vp and is easier to do conversion. If you do efi conversion I do have the electrical info I sourced of the old calais turbo site.

Putting a efi manifold/throttle body and ecu/loom to your old motor now would be a cheaper option than the holley sniper. 2nd hand parts for the 304 are cheap and plenty and price under $1k if you do the work yourself and a bit extra for the electrician. Oh forgot you need to change to the efi dissy over as well.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I really don’t want to go down the EFI swap route with this thing.  I just want something dumb ass, cheap and simple that will do for now. Maybe I will give it to the mechanic up the road from me, he can give it the once over and let me know.  In between karting, Kombi restos, and driving the Senator I don’t have a lot of spare time to mess around with it.

Profile photo of vin
    vin
    Participant

yep easy, cost effective $, mechanic, larger holley carby with smaller jets for 304, then jet up bigger later for 355, use your original manifold with new plate, and upgrade to new edelbrock performer manifold later for 355.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey Gary if me I would stick with carby and that’s big coming from me i’m efi all the way but you have a monster already in the senator when you did the carb did you replace the seals on the main butterfly shaft if these are stuffed can cause vacuum leak ,as for starting is the chock set up right my two cents

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea I am also leaning towards just staying carby, tbh I dont really want to mess around with it too much.  I think I might just give it to the mechanic up the road and see what he come up with.  I don’t think the auto choke is working properly, I did check the shafts and thought they were OK, but something isn’t right.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Just fix the quady. They are a good carby when working correctly.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Was hoping you might chine in Cav.  I would ideally like to keep it original.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Get it rebuilt and setup PROPERLY and it will do wonders. Anything other then an ls is a waste.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

The holley are worse again on fuel from what I hear.  Id take the car into somewhere that can sort it out the carby and check it on the dyno I know some great places but they are all in melbourne. Are you sure the issues are actually the carby?

https://www.facebook.com/BmFuelSystems/ id send it to them they are the best I know

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

No, I am not totally sure its the carby.  Gawler Aotumtve is a couple of hundred metres up the road from me, and they are the ones that fixed the rocker issue on the Senator so I trust them.  They also have a dyno, so I reckon that’s the go, give it to them and let them sort it.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

300+ km it’s just worn out, save the hassle and buy a new or refurbished one..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

300+ km it’s just worn out, save the hassle and buy a new or refurbished one..

I think that’s prob right, I am actually stoked with how well it drives given that.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Did someone say Barra?

Profile photo of vin
    vin
    Participant

Wow that quickly escalated from a simple carby fix to a whole motor

And Cava454 ….. Its the mighty Nissan RB30E Turbo not a stinking ford fish

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

It’s a cracker engine. Credit where credit is due.

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

There’s quite a few barra’s finding their way into early Commodores, especially VL’s. They’re a solid motor to get power out of without having to rebuild them. Shame they sound like shit.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Bloody hell, that ruined a good thread :good:    They also look like they are made of Lego.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

If it happened I was out of here…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.