This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Blair
    Blair
    Participant

Here is my blank canvas guys just recently bought its in fairly good shape .only rust issue has been plated under rear screen years ago been in dry storage melbourne for few years now had shipped up to goldcoast , has efi 3.3 and auto which will be pulling out and selling with ecu etc if anyone knows anyone interested make an offer .

Was originally going to go ls1 but for the extra money id like the 6L with lower ks , would like t56 trans undecided on diff leaning towards vl turbo 28 spline any thoughts on the suitability of that diff would be appreciated i understand the vl is 20mm longer so ill need to shorten 10mm either side if thats the case? Have sourced a vq v8 kframe out of statesman will the powersteering be an issue and should i change to manual rack ?

Will update build as progresses cheers guys  :thumbs-up:

• This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Blair Blair.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice project, maybe keep your eye out for a second hand LS3?

Profile photo of Blair
    Blair
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Yea definately open to that idea iv bid on a few salvage cars on pickles with the idea of parting out the rest of the car always looking at ebay too but most are high ks and asking around 9k</p>
    <p style=”text-align: right;”>Under 50xxxks would be happy with if the right setup comes up</p>
    <p style=”text-align: right;”></p>

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

I’m in the middle of a similar build, LS3/TH400 into a VK. I picked up an LS3 out of a 2016 Redline with 39,000kms on it for $8k earlier this year. Came with the harness, ECU and pedal as I’m sticking with the FBW throttle. Brand new crate motors were around the same price but didnt include the accessories, harness or ECU. Prices for LS3’s will come down as more and more find their way into wreckers, just like LS1’s. I’d go a 6L at minimum as they respond so much better to mods than the LS1, but it ultimately comes down to your budget. I’m up to around $22k at the moment, and need another $4-5k to get it on the road. I’ve bought all the major stuff, not it’s the little bits and pieces I need to get, and am buying stuff as I go to try and avoid wasting cash.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I Wouldn’t waste my time with an ls1 now. You will kick your self in the future and think “why didn’t I go 6.0 or 6.2”.

If you can’t afford ls3 go the l98. No dod or afm mumbo jumbo and they already have killer heads.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yep totally agree with the above, and the LS3’s will become much more available and cheaper, especially since the LSa seems to be what a lot of people go for and their relatively low price.

Profile photo of Blair
    Blair
    Participant

Thanks guys for your advice , i check your thread regularly heron and have learnt alot from you and many of the guys that have contributed to it my budget is similar to yours also .the new ls3 looks good until you add in all accessories and harness ecu ect i havent calculated the full cost of this yet . be intersested to know if anyones priced all out cheers guys

Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

I Wouldn’t waste my time with an ls1 now.

Yep totally agree with the above.

Don’t worry little LS1, they don’t mean it  :cry:

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

So far, the big items have cost around the $18K mark (motor 8k, gearbox and converter 5k, conversion stuff 5k). I splurged on those when i had the cash as they’re the most expensive things to outlay cash on. the stuff i need now is relatively cheap (only hundreds, not thousands haha) and i can slowly chip away at it as time progresses without breaking the bank (and pissing of the wife). Depends how handy you are with tools as well, I’ve had a crack at everything i could to save paying someone else to do it.

It’s hard to stick to a budget, you pretty much will blow it out, but as long as you’re realistic when initially planning it out it shouldnt be too bad.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

It’s hard to stick to a budget, you pretty much will blow it out

My experience 110% :good:

Profile photo of Blair
    Blair
    Participant

It’s hard to stick to a budget, you pretty much will blow it out

My experience 110%

and it looks like i will haha just picked up an 09 maloo for a good price will part out all apart from conversion so should recoup fair bit and hopefully work out cheaper its auto and done 100k . you guys think you have issues with your mrs’s  :yahoo:   mine flipped when i told her what iv just gone n done just moved house gettin pool and outdoor stuff done now shes worried the place is starting to look like the Kerrigans  :yes:

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Blair Blair.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Blair Blair.
    Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Cool!!!

Been waiting to see 6l80 fitted to an early girl lol.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I imaging the 6L80e will need the tunnel modded a bit?  They are a big ass box aren’t they?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I was always under the assumption that the tunnel needed massage but ive since been told otherwise.

The yanks are getting some seriously low 60ft’s with the 6L80E in the CTSV’s

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Don’t think it’s tunnel issue moreso guessing they’re not suitable for starter conversion so it would be like doing early days m6 ls conversion where they moved rack over & custom extractor..good excuse for 1 7/8.

I reckon it will be wicked setup especially after seeing workmate’s vf clubbie with cam + harrop 2300 still using stock auto.

Thought we could only go 6 litre legally with early commodores?

But seeing a few ls3 convesions getting built lately & an engineered lj torrie with an ls2 has me confused.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Weight x 5.0= Max cc Aspirated

x3.0 for boost

Profile photo of LS3VK
    LS3VK
    Participant

yep I had mine engineered and passed by the Transport Department with the LS3.

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

I honestly don’t think you will get into issues with the tunnel for the 6L80e, vb-vk had a much larger tunnel . A th350-400 for examle will fit with no modification.

It

s Vl’s that have a problem. as they have the smallest tunnels out of them all [were never supposed to be v8’s]. Some how they wedged a trimatic in there though with mm to spare haha.

Should be good man.

My 2c, i recon still go ahead with brock/ss replica but paint it a different colour to Formula Blue.

Imagine Vw’s Limestone grey with blacked out chrome [on bars, handels, antenna surround, weather strips] and black ss decals. Would look phat as!

Profile photo of Blair
    Blair
    Participant

Cheers for the input guys im hoping i wont have major issues with the setup will have to do more research as everything i planned has changed …big jump from ls1 and 6 manual to ls3 auto  haha , as for the colour i did see a vk brock ss on instagram with what looks like panorama silver i think that would look pretty good also but on other hand id love a nice blue meanie . ill figure that out as its the least of my concerns though at the moment , the wifes come around to the shock of the new adition to the fleet  ;-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I just posted in the engine swap section the link to the Code that governs engine swaps, with the weight/capacity etc.  Luckily it doesn’t apply yet in SA, hence me legally being able to stick the 7.4 in there.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.