This topic contains 66 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of TUFGMH TUFGMH 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

I love how clean this is. Wonder if you could stick an L98 in one under the same regs…. they would fall within the 20% capacity requirements, just.

A guy up that way is currently doing an LS3 conversion into a VH, but the engineer will be involved.

It’d be interesting to see what it costs to go through engineering. I’m in the early stages on sticking a LS into my VK, and figuring out the costs is a pain.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I’m in the early stages on sticking a LS into my VK, and figuring out the costs is a pain.

Do you mean the costs of the engineering alone, or the costs of the conversion?

Heron SSV
    Participant

Mainly the engineering costs. It seems that the mods essential to get a full engineering certificate can vary depending on what engineer you go to. Take yours for example, he was genuinely helpful in getting it passed and would listen to your reasoning about what you had done and why you’d done it so that the whole car was basically improved to safely handle the engine swap, whereas others wouldn’t even look at a swap of that kind. So the engineer can greatly affect both the cost of parts used (what parts are required), plus the work done by the engineer himself, depending on who you go to.

Conversion costs vary mainly cause of the hopes and dreams of the owner lol

Is there a thread on here for members to share their own experiences getting various mods passed? It’d be helpful to see what people have had to do to get a variety of mods actually fully roadworthy, not just a quick engine swap into an already rego’d car and hope they dont get caught

PS – sorry about the thread hijack…

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Totally agree engineering depends so much on the engineers preference, as you say with mine Doug (the engineer) focused almost solely on the fact the car was thought through from front to back and was well engineered and safe, rather than meeting any particular rule or code.

Great idea re the engineering thread.  I have just renamed the “Engine Conversions” to “Engine Conversions & Engineering”  Love you to start a thread in there on what people have done, the experience they have had etc :good:

Also sorry about the thread hijack!!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I’m just winging it.  :yes:

Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

I’m just winging it.

Amen to that!  :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I’m just winging it.

Well on a serious note I personally think that’s just dumb.  I mean sure, when the time comes it may just get passed, but what if it doesn’t?  Stuff spending years and thousand of $$’s building  a car to potentially find out at the end something fundamental is wrong that could have been easily sorted by a phone call.

Heron SSV
    Participant

I just like the thought of being able to cruise wherever I want without worrying about getting caught by the po po, like the OP can.

It’s also nice knowing if I’m involved in an accident, even if I’m not at fault, it’s less likely I’ll get screwed over by an insurance company, or potential law suits.

Enough doom and gloom though, let’s get back to the thread topic and bask in the glory of a nicely modified  VK  :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea good point, so how is this sitting at the moment, whats next?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I just like the thought of being able to cruise wherever I want without worrying about getting caught by the po po, like the OP can. It’s also nice knowing if I’m involved in an accident, even if I’m not at fault, it’s less likely I’ll get screwed over by an insurance company, or potential law suits. Enough doom and gloom though, let’s get back to the thread topic and bask in the glory of a nicely modified VK

engineer papers don’t mean anything to the police. They will still send u in for epa. If the engine is slightly modded, you won’t pass.

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

It has been in an insurance claim, full comprehensively insured, rego papers have the engine number and capacity, full blue slip carried out, covered under the VSI regs when done. No worries in the slightest here ;)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work, so whats the go from here, any more mods on the cards or just enjoy it for a while?

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

Nice work, so whats the go from here, any more mods on the cards or just enjoy it for a while?

Have a 4000rpm lockup stall waiting on the shelf along with a new steering rack. Want to fit a baby cam while replacing the lifters which are starting to rattle when cold, something with lift in the 21′-22′ range. Just enough to take out the factory lag in response without being an all out ball tearer. It is my daily and does plenty of 500km+ trips, so need to act my age  :unsure:

Here is my last cam:

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of TUFGMH TUFGMH.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of TUFGMH TUFGMH.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

What I had would be perfect cam choice.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Idle sounds nice :good:

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

Joined some fellow forum members and another Commodore/Wayne Gardner fan ;)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice selection of cars right there!

Profile photo of SSBK
    SSBK
    Participant

216 224 115 and .551 Crane Cam , nice idle lump without being too brassy

B-)

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

I ended up with a VCM10 camshaft which is 225/225 .578″ @112.5 which is a little different to the usual low/high arrangement but should suit the direction the build is going lol. On a positive note, there seems to be more traction when needed in a straight line.

Also went a little sideways in that plan on a visit to Gear Exchange Smithfield :S

Fitted a new Street & Strip full spool and bearings etc to the Salisbury. Still running the 3.55:1 gears. Should do the job until funds permit a 3.7:1 BW78 with Tru Track and tailshaft rear ;)

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

Progress on the cam and stall upgrade have been put back a little :(

My fault, sold the 19 inch Aero’s and put shitty but tread legal tyres on whilst the original wheels were being powdercoated. Buried the right foot in the wet to avoid another two car altercation and swapped ends across 4 lanes of the freeway at 90-100kmh. The cable fence in the median strip did its job.

Looks to be fairly superficial with very little aligning needing to be done. Most of the parts are sorted for repairs, so hopefully get the ball rolling soon. A big shout out to Tim/StupidFlanders for a replacement Calais taillight ;)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.