HomeForumsGeneralThe Pool RoomVE HSV… worth it?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan811 Dan811 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi guys,

for all those who used to / currently have a VE, i’m looking for some feedback.

2 kids means the monaro is going back to dad, 2 doors just doesn’t cut it anymore :(

I love the car immensely, so much so that I’m really skeptical about upgrading to a VE-based chassis over a VT-VZ based chassis that I know so well now. Safety and modern refinement is a massive plus, especially with a family, but I want to know if the new chassis will deliver the same thrill on a backroad. The extra 200-250kg just keeps nagging at me…

Has anyone modified a VE for handling purposes? Acquiring horsepower is easy, but an exciting drive takes something more, and even though I would almost certainly throw coilovers and polyurethane at it immediately, I’d love to hear from anyone who has modified a VE and what they think by comparison.

I’m not expecting porsche-levels of driver involvement, but the monaro on 255 all-round michelins, poly and coilovers just comes alive once you push it, and i’d love to have the best of all worlds, if it’s not too much to ask….

I’ll hopefully get a chance to drive one myself for comparison, but until then I’d love to hear what people have done and what they did / didn’t like about it. Is a VE HSV worth it?

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Just a question, have you driven a VE/F yet?  Reason I ask is the sixe and position of the front A pillar is literally enough to put me off buying one.  We have a SV6 VE here at work and its awesome, except deadly.  That blind spot just spoils driving the car for me its that big/bad.  And man are they heavy…  I test drove the VF GTS and it was a weapon no doubt.

Profile photo of Stevoss
    Stevoss
    Participant

Bloke i work with had a ve clubsport ls2 after a vyss both 6 spd both otr exhaust and tuned. said he wished he still had the vy. was just 2 heavy and a very big difference in investment 6k compared to 28k. ended up selling the hsv and went back to a vy ss ute spent the money on cam otr and tune. dont think he misses it.

my thoughts were unless it was a ls3 you would only get a ve ss and do the basics otr cam tune. l98 is still a good motor.

suspension wise he had hsdcoilovers in both and loved it in the vy. ve went back to kings and decent shocks and said it felt heaps better. they can have weird spring rates stiff in the front but really soft in the rear for hooking up = crap in corners together.

brakes on the hsv were awesome. vy needed 330mm upgrade but was still good.

things i dislike on the ve, handbrake mechanism and cheap plastics of the interior. things i like big wheel arches and hsv seats

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Funny how it works, literally last night a good mate of mine dropped by in his brand spanking SV6 Black edition after just picking it up.  So had a chance to have a good look and go for a cruise.  Got to say wow, what an interior.  I am not sure if its just that spec one, but got a really nice look going with the carbon fibre and gloss black look.  His is black (panther?), so the interior was back but has red stitching on the leather.  Last night  paid particular attention to the A pillar and tbh it didn’t seem as bad as I remembered it.  Not sure if somehow they have thinned it down a little or maybe I am more used to it.  Drove awesome and for a 6 with only 40km on the clock had a fair bit of go.  Impressed.  Unimpressed that just as Holden make their best Commy ever they are stopping though :cry:

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

My brother has a ve senator bought it new. This front visability is terrible. The build quality is atrocious.  They handle and stop well, go well as well. Get the ls3 not ls2. Nice car but be prepared for gremlins

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I wonder if the VF is better though, I imagine they would have sorted alot of the bugs out by now?

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Yeah vf is a world apart they are a much better built car.

My brothers senator in the first year and it had a gentle life. Head unit failed, cluster failed, transmission selector light loom failed, tail lights filled up with condesation,  tail light mod loom for led hsv lights failed,  badge front grille plaiting came off, dash platics and seat plastics deformed, roof mount dvd which was never even used fell out of the roof, did front suspension isolators, pcm failed. And talking to the dealers and others with them its not all that uncommon

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Man that’s one hell of a list of faults.  Shit.  At work we bought an SV6 VE when they first came out, we have had a lot of trouble with the interior trim parts falling to pieces, but other than that its been pretty reliable for near on 200,000ks.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I bought my Ve clubby in 2009 & it’s been my daily ever since. I haven’t modified the suspension at all and I’d say it goes, stops and handles great as it is. As others have stated the biggest downside of the Ve is the vision reduction due to the A pillar width. I’d say the best best thing to do is drive one & see if you like it

Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

thanks for the replies everyone.

GOOD NEWS!! I drove both a VF SSv (6 litre) and a VE clubby (6.2l) just to compare.

I can say two things immediately – firstly, the VF interior is streets ahead of anything before it, what a nice place to be.

secondly, and probably more controversial – the VE had much better steering feel, i suspect because it still has hydraulic steering vs the VF’s electronic. The VF was on 20’s vs the VE on 19s, and still the VE was much more precise, with more feedback. Both were very refined (compared the monaro at least), and surprisingly didn’t feel as heavy as I imagined until you really push it, but the wider rubber makes up for that a little too.

Gives me food for thought….. Thanks again guys

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.