HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralCar Audio & ElectricsUpgrade head unit in WH Statesman International in Melbourne

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ChrisM ChrisM 6 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of StevenDon
    StevenDon
    Participant

Hi,
    I have stock 2001 WH Statesman International and while I would prefer it to remain stock, especially considering how many were made, and that I believe one of these days it will be collectable. Not that I want to sell it for a profit someday.

We are buying a caravan, and plan on using the Statesman to tow the caravan.
    There’s 3 of us who will be cruising the highways on our adventures, so I would like to upgrade the stereo to one which will play DVDs, and include screens in the headrests. I’ll also be installing a reversing camera in the car, and the caravan, and would like it to display on the screen in the dash.

I will want to utilise the steering wheel controls, and as the car has 10 speakers, I would like to use all of them. I’m happy to upgrade the speakers, but I want them to fit the existing mounts, and covers, so it still looks original. I don’t need it to blast my head off, I am pretty happy with the existing volume, and I definitely don’t want a sub woofer, one, it would take up too much boot space, and we need room for a wheelchair, secondly, the existing setup has sufficient bass.
    It would be nice if we can play a DVD, and have it display on the headrests, and either output to a headphone jack, or play on the rear speakers while we listen to music in the front. I know that would be a tough ask, but I believe it can be done.

I have recently seen a gadget online that can interface to the steering wheel controls, and a head unit, but I can’t remember where I saw it.

Can anyone here suggest a brand/model that may suit my needs, and someone or a company that can supply and fit a system?
    One thing that I would prefer is that it will look like it belongs, so a fascia would be essential, unless there’s another way.

Thanks…

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

HI StevenDon,

With upgrading the stereo you can use and aftermarket double din head unit. I like to use alpine type r speakers. As for Subs i know you don’t want them but there is a good chance you already have them installed from factory on the parcel shelf. with the head unit you can get what you call the plug n play interfaces and the can come with the steering wheel interface.

Facia kit include SW control – https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STEERING-WHEEL-CONTROL-ISO-HARNESS-FACIA-FOR-COMMODORE-VT-VX-CALAIS/181201276540?epid=25016997576&hash=item2a30700e7c:g:PjgAAOSwAWlaaADR

Another suggestion is speak to SSV in Thomastown.

Cheers chris

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.