This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of CORNFED CORNFED 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CORNFED
    CORNFED
    Participant

G’day All, first time posting on a forum – always wanted to start a build page but never had the time so here goes!!

Model: 05 SS Manual

Colour: Turismo Blue

Body: All guards rolled. body isnt perfectly straight, but if it was I would care to much so i dont mind.

Engine: 5.7 LS GMM SR2 Cam with supporting mods. Tune by Willall in SA, made 307 rwkw. Duspeed intake colour coded. Revshift green engine mounts and blue trans mount insert.

Exhaust: 2″ DPE Headers ceramic coated with WB bung into twin 3″ xforce. also have a twin 3″ straight through side pipe for race days.

Gearbox: 6 Spd Man, Textralia Z grip solid puck clutch, light weight billet flywheel, ripshifter

Diff: standard 3.73 LSD

Wheels: Ultrex 19×8.5, 245 35 Fed Evo 595

Suspension: Kings SL front, FE2 Rear for Drags and street, SL for track. Monroe Gt Sport shocks/struts all around. majority of bushes replaces with poly or solid rubber

Brakes: Standard SS, EBC yellow pads

Stereo: Double Din Pioneer touch, 12 inch slim sub

Interior: SS leather Seats, r8 center gauge pod with autometer volt/oil pres GTS Steering Wheel, Scroth Racing 4 pt harness, Fire Extinguisher

Future Mods:
    lots of things – main thing at the moment is prepping for nitrous install
    MSD 2 Step (had an LFE unit that caused mass ignition issues so had to disconnect it)
    Build a motor myself, just how i want
    bolt in cage
    racing seats and extra harness for pax
    drag pack rear wheels
    reverse cowl

therell be mods I’ve forgotten to list that I will probs get around to later

Goals:

10 Sec QTR
    enter more sprint and grip racing (currently raced at phillip island, East Sale, Mallala Drifts)
    have fun, Keep learning

I’ve been in and out of the car scene for the past 8 years or so now, ever since my first car – $700 maranello VL Manual – landed in the shed in SA for my mates and I to get on the road in time for me to get to work ha.

Two and a half years ago I was getting around in a relatively clean VR v6 when I suddenly had to rush a friend to hospital. As I ‘raced’ down the highway wondering if my car was going to rattle itself apart I decided I had to get something faster and more reliable. – 6 Months later enter this VZ SS I picked up for 8 K in Canberra! pretty happy with the detail considering the colour and 6 speed.

It was pretty much a standard stocker, wheels, slightly lowered and 2.5″ exh. nothing special and in need of general TLC, clear peeling on spoiler and shitty interior that needed cleaning up .

Over the 2 years I have had it my mates and I have worked on it, and will continue to do so. It’s still a work in progress to me, but its not at a bad stage I suppose.

If anyone is interested in particular bits I will go into detail otherwise I’ll find some photos of progress for captions and go from there

• This topic was modified 7 years ago by Profile photo of CORNFED CORNFED.
    • This topic was modified 7 years ago by Profile photo of CORNFED CORNFED.
    • This topic was modified 7 years ago by Profile photo of CORNFED CORNFED. Reason: formatting
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of CORNFED
    CORNFED
    Participant

not sure what I did posted a whole lot of script..

Profile photo of CORNFED
    CORNFED
    Participant

Few more photos from various stages of the build;

After its first clay bar and proper polish, the higher front springs are still in at this point

The tex clutch going in, the stock one was too beat up and couldn’t handle any of the power after cam

Fire Extinguisher Mount:
    Its been flipped around since this so its quicker and easier to get in and out

Profile photo of CORNFED
    CORNFED
    Participant

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Profile photo of CORNFED CORNFED.
    Profile photo of CORNFED
    CORNFED
    Participant

I absolutely love my revshift mounts, I have the blue trans mount and green street/strip engine mounts (http://www.revshift.com/product-p/pmm-vtt.htm) they do transfer some vibrations to the cab, however they really help you feel in tune with what the motor is doing, aswell as holding the motor nice and solid in place.

Profile photo of thatotherguy94
    thatotherguy94
    Participant

Turismo SS.. best colour  :good:

Will be interested to see where this goes

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi mate welcome to the forum.  Love that colour.  Thats a bloody nice combo you have put together.  10s with manual will keep you working that’s for sure.  Keep the updates coming.

Profile photo of CORNFED
    CORNFED
    Participant

Thanks! Its coming forward slowly, have more to upload when I have time.
    I dont have much idea what it’ll do at the strip but if I want to have a chance against my mates Torana I’ll have to break 10s haha one day!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Might have to a side by side when I eventually get mine to AIR to see what it will do as it sits now :good:

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

I absolutely love my revshift mounts, I have the blue trans mount and green street/strip engine mounts (http://www.revshift.com/product-p/pmm-vtt.htm) they do transfer some vibrations to the cab, however they really help you feel in tune with what the motor is doing, aswell as holding the motor nice and solid in place.

They look very simular to a vs auto gearbox mount wonder if they are dont suppose you know. Be interesting to see how harsh they are just the trans mount on its own.

Profile photo of CORNFED
    CORNFED
    Participant

Might have to a side by side when I eventually get mine to AIR to see what it will do as it sits now

I’ll be back down in adelaide around chrissy time, hoping there’ll be some racing – will see you there! I’d be very happy if I was in the 11s with current set up. What would you be hoping to run in yours?

They look very simular to a vs auto gearbox mount wonder if they are dont suppose you know. Be interesting to see how harsh they are just the trans mount on its own.

Hey Sands, you might be in luck – looks like the mounts are the same. You’d need to put a set of engine mounts in too though, cant have the trans mount stiffer than the engine. Not sure what you’re running will check out your build now  :wave-bye:

(http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-V6-V8-VS-VT-VU-VX-VY-VZ-Auto-Manual-Transmission-Mount-NEW-/271210086743?hash=item3f25618157:g:390AAOSw-0xYhTc9)

Profile photo of CORNFED
    CORNFED
    Participant

Few more updates on past upgrades:

Aeroflow oil cooler adapter, improved racing design copy but can’t fault it. no issues with installation or since

massive thanks to the guys at Exhaust Technology in Adel for knocking this up for me. Will probs need a muffler for most tracks in Aus haha but does it sound horny!  :music:

Profile photo of CORNFED
    CORNFED
    Participant

Picked up a set of 243 heads for a mate in SA, bargain plus after a chat the guy threw in a comp ‘mystery’ cam for free! Some research found it to be comp cams XFI XER 54-448-11 which is 238/240 .605/.611 – not a bad day at all!

Iv been doing the measurements, and i believe i can fit a 275/60/15 tyre under rear for drags. considering I’m running FE2 susp, it may poke out abit but that doesnt bother me

Installed the msd launch control yesterday, very happy with it. no interference issues like i had with the lingenfelter – just need the sun to come back for some test runs!!

Nitrous kit has been purchased – pickd up a NX 102 plate system super cheap – with the 15lb bottle. getting excited, slowly building up all the supporting hardware so it will be as safe as possible on the motor :)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of CORNFED CORNFED.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Mint mate. That’s a nice cam. You will Be happy. How much the nitrous kit cost?

Profile photo of CORNFED
    CORNFED
    Participant

heyya, super happy – I’m keeping my gmm cam for now so gave this cam to a mate who’s building an ls torana
    which works for me – want to hear how the comp cam sounds and performs ha

nitrous kit was 800 from a guy in SA. one of those lucky times when you get in first haha same kit from US would be ~1200 shipped.. plus whatever taxes they throw at you

Profile photo of CORNFED
    CORNFED
    Participant

hey all, have some updates – new mt et street s/s on the car – looking sweet !

is everyone else having the issue with photobucket pics when theyre uploaded? – the links arent working?

Profile photo of CORNFED
    CORNFED
    Participant

I know the attachments work, so will use them for now

I picked up my wheels a while ago now, and finally found tyres to go with them. I want 275, and i wanted 28″ tall, but wasnt fully confident to buy new incase they didnt fit haha
    managed to find 275/60/15 mt et street s/s for $40 each! a steal. theyre down to the wear bars but doesnt matter with these kind of tyres. wouldnt ride them in the rain regardless.

So i can confirm that it is possible to fit a 15×10 wheel into a vz, with a 275/60/15 tyre. you dont get a lot of clearance though. i need to bash my innerguard, and probably should get a camber kit too, to fine tune.. but they fit. and thats all that matters for now!

fun fact: you can get tyres this big on the rim without a machine or a pry bar – just weigh atleast 95kg  :yahoo: … and lots of lube

Attachments:
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Suprised they fit tbh.

Dont forget when you race they are aired down, so they become wider, also factor in the vehicle will squat.

Profile photo of CORNFED
    CORNFED
    Participant

id race with higher suspension, but figure if i can make it fit at that height theyll be good no matter what. it also looks so good haha

its within mm of not scrubbing, need to work the inner guard and probably pump the outer abit too, just to be safe

ill be getting solid bushings for the rear, which will help straighten it too. pretty sure my rubber bushes are really old and letting the k frame move and causing some of the scrubbing

deffs going to work out, will keep you posted

pic is when i went for a test drive with the lowered springs in

Attachments:
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.