HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralDrivelineTrans Cooler/cooling system

This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of exec24 exec24 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Just want to know what Trans coolers people are running in the VR/VS that are a good fit in the bumpers, i’ll be running the trans lines directly to the cooler, but not through the radiator ones. as i have the FG thermo fan on the back. as this is how i had it set up before without any issues.

Also I was going to use the VS copper radiator (genuine) suit auto, that i bought new a few years ago, when i first done the V8 Conversion that i was planning on reusing, i’ll get it flushed before hand.

the other option i was looking at was just changing the radiator to a Manual type one, if it helps keep the car cooler. im just not sure if its worth it and especially with these cheap radiators that are out there

Profile photo of SSEN8R VS #1081
    SSEN8R VS #1081
    Participant
    Supporter

If you do any track or drag work, you may want to consider using trans cooler in the radiator as a power steering cooler. I do track work (manual) and just cooked my power steering, so i’m going to use the trans cooler in my radiator (after market) as power steering cooler. see my track thread in my sig if you want to read more.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

99% this is going to be a road car,  i wont take it on a track, and i dont even think we have drag meets here in SA anymore (again)

my biggest concern it, overheating my new trans, which has a 3000rpm stall, i dont think i’ll have much of an issue with the power steering overheating at this stage

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

I use a small external trans cooler for the power steering.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

yeah if i put a cooler for the power steering it will have to external, the inlet/outlet barb on the trans lines have been cut to clear my thermo fan

i have noticed that a few brand like Derale do stagered ount brackets or there coolers like this:

http://derale.com/products/fluid-coolers/accessories/series-10000-stacked-plate-accessories/stacked-plate-cooler-easy-fit-mounting-brackets-dual-748-detail

that way i can run a larger Cooler for the trans a a smaller one for the power steering provided i can fit them both

does anyone know what size i need to run for a trans

http://derale.com/products/fluid-coolers/universal/series-10000-stack-plate2013-10-28-09-53-271154803941/6-pass-econo-cool-remote-cooler-1-2-barb-inlets-detail

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Trans as big as possible, whatever will fit, there’s no way you can overcool the Trans as it’s a low pressure bypass circuit.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

ok, and how far would you keep it away from the condenser/radiator?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

ok, and how far would you keep it away from the condenser/radiator?

Closer the better, I did a lot of research into this when I set mine up, if you leave a gap you get a cushion of turbulent air between the 2 exchangers and this in turn reduces the 2nd coolers efficiency..

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

ok, might go remove the front bar and take some measurements

Immortality
    Participant

This is on my old VN

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

what types of coolers/brands have people been using, and found good or bad?

the ones i’ve been looking at are stacked plate, but there is also tube and fin OR Stacked plate and fin

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Had a 250×150 Bursons brand cooler on my 5200 trimatic. Never an issues it what the shop who did my box supplied.

Like others have said if your going to go power steering cooler (shouldn’t worry bout on street car) run an external.

Immortality
    Participant

I actually think coolers are getting mandatory for steering systems, bigger and wider wheels put much more load on the steering (and suspension) systems.  Even Holden started fitting very rudimentary coolers into later model cars.

I used the tube/fin type because it was cheap and It’s not like I’m trying to remove a huge amount of heat.  PS fluid was only ever warm even after been driven hard.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

The trans cooler I only just took off the car, ready for this rebuild and respray was only a stacked plate type and about 250×150, that was on the car all those years ago when I bought it the old bloke I bought it from use to tow a caravan with it.

No issues ever happened, just with everything else new or close to it I thought it replace it with a new one, and go a bit larger just in case

I still have the old trans cooler in the shed, I’ll see if it has a brand on it

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Just use that put $$$ elsewhere.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

What pan are you using im running the later deep pan which helps as it hold more fluid .. Also can get the finned deeper b and m trans pans too

Thats mine b and m for V8 they called it… Works well cars copped torture with a stock trans and lived with fairly big hp and torque increase.  Apparently its the older fin type less efficient. Notice newer ones have thicker but less fins much better

If i had my time again id use this that better fin design and the inbuilt thermo fan this one…

http://www.jegs.com/p/B-M/B-M-Hi-Tek-Transmission-Cooling-System/751118/10002/-1

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not sure if this helps but I run an engine oil cooler on the passenger side, and my trans cooler is mounted to the front of the Radiator and is big.   Not sure you can actually go too big for the trans, and the engine oil cooler takes a heap of load off the regular cooling system.  I do also have a small cooler I bought for the power steering but haven’t fitted it yet but will most likely try and fit it on the drivers side, although i have the electric brake vac pump and reservoir there.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

I Have a VT  Transmission so it has a Deeper Pan from Factory, but have just got a TCI Cast Alloy pan with fins from the US, which i got last week so that will go on before the car is started up.

i will take a photo of the one out my VS in the next day or two, to give yous an idea what im talking about, but its was the original one off my car, it is Made in Canada, and is LONG brand (something to do with DANA)

anyway when i went to the local wrecking yard (U Pull It) for all the Adelaide People, there were about 5 or 6 VS’s in there with these coolers, i noticed that VN-VR have different coolers as they have the front electric fan. Now i’ve never seen a VS V6 fitted with the front fan and my VS was a v6 when i bought it, so all the VS v6’s had a similar size cooler but the other type that seemed to be fitted to them is only about 20mm thick whereas mine is about 30mm

i’d like to mount additional coolers but i have all the factory Vacuum canister under the LH Guard, and under the RH Guard, underneath where the battery was located from factory, i have a VT Type Charcoal Canister Mounted

i haven’t had a look at it again this week, i got side tracked mounting my fuel reg instead, i’ll try and get back to it this weekend

Profile photo of benk
    benk
    Participant

Not sure if this helps but I run an engine oil cooler on the passenger side, and my trans cooler is mounted to the front of the Radiator and is big. Not sure you can actually go too big for the trans, and the engine oil cooler takes a heap of load off the regular cooling system. I do also have a small cooler I bought for the power steering but haven’t fitted it yet but will most likely try and fit it on the drivers side, although i have the electric brake vac pump and reservoir there.  

What brand cooler is that, a B&M? looks perfect for the VS

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of benk benk.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yep B&M, there’s more info on how i mounted it etc in post #431, page 3 of my build thread.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.