HomeForumsGeneralThe Pool RoomThoughts on subpoena IP addresses for downloads

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Michael Michael 9 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

I guess many of you guys have seen or heard the news that a US company behind Dallas Buyers Club has subpoena ip addresses from some of the smaller internet providers.

What are your thoughts on this? Obviously pretty much anyone under 35 and many ovrer has downloaded movies or series in the last two years. Should we be worried or is it all hot air?

Apparently a law was passed a while back that provider must keep your records for two years, if you are downloading from torrent sites etc how are you protecting yourself for times to come? Or are times changing where downloading will become a thing of the past?

munch munch ls1s for lunch
    Best 1/4 mile 13.1@105mph 60ft-1.8sec Reaction time .8 sec 0/100-4.8sec

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

how are you protecting yourself for times to come?

By going to the movies, renting from video ezy/t box and buying my music off Itunes :)

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

To be honest, I don’t really understand what it means. I am a bit of an old fart and don’t download moves (yet). So what exactly does it mean, if you do from now on you can get sued, or if you have in the last two years you can?

Profile photo of SSEN8R VS #1081
    SSEN8R VS #1081
    Participant
    Supporter

I have paid particular attention to these developments due to the industry I work in.

If you look to the past, VHS / Cassettes / Mp3s / Napster / CD & DVD Burners, the technology is always one step ahead.

TOR (the onion router) and VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) can easily hide your IP address / location. Again technology one step ahead…. These are very easy to set up, i’m told…. ;)

In the US the movie studio that produced that dallas buyers club has asked for some big amounts of compensation. Luckily for us, the Australian law courts run alot differently. Basically the courts set the compensation, and the court will most probably fine you the cost of the DVD.

All of the sites people effectively download from are run by US companies/gangs, but have servers based in a nice country. So has these notices / laws stopped the people in the US?

Legal alternatives have previously been so far behindthe ball, cost & content, that people had a reason to download. Now with Netflix / Presto / Stan / Quikflix streaming services, a $10 alternative seems quite reasonable.

So illegal downloading will just be a little bit harder, and legal alternatives will be cheaper and easier, so this paradigm shift will stopped alot of downloading… so people will cry from the mountain tops about how this court case has scared all the pirates into hiding.

BUT the Game of Thrones season 5 starts on April 12th – so expect a massive wave of pirates in big pirate ships to arrive! And us Ozzies hate paying uncle Rupert big bucks to get the foxtel subscription with GoT, so expect the news to start with articles about Australians being the biggest pirates in the world!!!! hehe

Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Yes apparently the last game of thrones or walking dead (cant remember) biggest illegal downloading was australia.

I have foxtel and go to movies regularly, but for example if you are a  vikings fan is out in the USA but not out here yet, hence the downloading.

Apparently in the USA they were making people pay 9thousand out of court or face up to 200thousand if in court. Dont see how thats justified considering its a 7 dollar higher the missed out on.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Do my downloading at the olds house.  I’m in the clear hahahahah

vikins good show

Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Hahahah cav my net under house mates name lol Just got a vpn blocker, i am currently writing this from uk lol

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

Apparently in the USA they were making people pay 9thousand out of court or face up to 200thousand if in court. Dont see how thats justified considering its a 7 dollar higher the missed out on.

I listened to an interview with Michael Wickstrom (Vice president of the company behind Dallas Buyers Club). He said that the media goes looking for the highest numbers they can to get the best sounding stories, because not many people would care if the media tried to scare people saying they could cop a $10 fine. So whilst those numbers may be true. They are nothing to be worried about for 99% of the people.

He said that there were some fines issued that were thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. These were issued to people they found to be distributing the movie and others whilst they did their investigation.

In the end, the amount that will be owed, will be around the cost of a DVD.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.