HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVT – VX – VY – VZThe Smogga | Ls1pwr Tuned and set to kill 289kw/387hp

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Renno Renno 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

My names Brent and this is my first car.
    I bought it back in 2008 off a mate that wanted a car with better fuel economy [he bought a 2008 suzuki swift]. He bought it from the auctions as a repairable write off as it had fresh water damage.

As i was looking for a car it was a tough choice between a 1998 Ford XR6 manual with the tickford vct motor or The VX.

Needless to say i got my sanity back and bought the vx for $11,500 with 105,000 k’s on it.

Since then it’s gone through the paces from getting a cammed LS1 & 6speed

It also copped a full genuine vx hyper yellow ss dash, seats & cluster, Kings low suspension with monroe gt sport shocks and Genuine vx gts rims.

Although the vx presents very well, it flaws are a few hail stone dents from the last big storm, paint faded on the roof and stone chips on the bonnet so its due for a re-spray.

Future plans are to get a re-spray.

For those who don’t know, THIS CAR IS DAILY DRIVEN!

Model: 2002 VX Commodore Series II
    Colour: H154 Quicksilver
    Bodykit: Complete VX SS
    Engine Type: 5.7 LS1
    Engine Mods: Maffless Tune, acl race bearings, 228/234 comp cam, double row timing chain, pak springs, forged bottom end, 20 thou up pistons, standard stroke, morel t bar lifters, 82mm FAST manifold, 92mm throttle body, 10 thou off the heads, flowed & ported heads
    Power: 289rwkw [387rwhp]
    Transmission: T56 6 Speed Manual, Malwoord Automotive short shifter [plus, hsv shortened stick]
    Exhaust: Pacemaker Tri-y extractors, redback 100 cell cats, 2.5 inch X-Force exhaust
    Diff: 3.9 diff gears isotropically polished, Eaton truetrack detroit locker center
    Brakes: Bendix General CT pads, dba T2 front & rear rotors, penrite race dot 4 brake fluid
    Suspension:
    FRONT: Low Kings springs, Monroe GT Sport Struts
    REAR: Low Kings Springs, Monroe GT Sport Shock absorbers
    Wheels/Tyres: Genuine 19 inch VX GTS Rims [Painted switchblade silver], 245/35/19 tyres
    Interior: Hyper yellow SS cloth interior, leather console lid, leather handbrake boot, Chrome door handles [Interior], SS gold Dash & rear console facia, hyper yellow ss floormats, vz air vents [door], vz ss satin silver pedals, calais interior light, calais rear courtesy lights, vx senator series 2 steering wheel, monaro silver steering wheel controls, berlina adjustable seatbelt trim & adjuster, ve leather gear knob & new map pockets
    Stereo: Pioneer Headunit with iPod connectivity
    Other Mods: philips 80% more light headlight bulbs
    Cost: Purchased 2008 for $11,000, $600 head unit, $1000 Vx gts rims with tyres, front & rear bar $25 each, SS headlights $210, Fog light switch $30, $770 heavy duty Clutch, $30 exhaust bracket, $85 Seat pre-tensioners, $60 Leads [ls1], Monroe front struts, monroe rear shocks, front rotors and front bendix general ct pads $400, Oxy sensors $80, hyper yellow ss floor mats $120, $160 vz ss satin silver pedals, pacemaker tri-y extractors $400, 2x Redback 100 cell cats $320, 2.5inch xforce catback exhaust $470, Maffless tune $600, Otr $200, Ls1 fan belt $30, Rad support cover decals $30 [$15 each], 18% Carbon based window tint $350, $3000 new motor, $650 retune, $140 Senator steering wheel, $40 monaro steering wheel controls, $14 berlina seat belt trim sliders, $295 Malwood Automotive short shifter
    Build Period: 2008-now [So far 6 years]
    Future Mods: Respray
    Contacts: Brayden for selling me the car, For everything motor and driveline wise upgrades Cam & Greame Jones, Matt Ebert from PSI Performance Garage, Jason from Ls1pwr Performance & Tuning and Brett from Vision window tint

• This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Bdj_007 Bdj_007.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

After a fuel pump incident which was rectified by my mate Matt Ebert at PSI Performance Garage i was finally able to message Jason at Ls1pwr Performance & Tuning and say it was finally ready for him.

It went to D’annello Performance in Hallam for a tune on his dyno by Jason.
    Needless to say it was a daunting experience to watch hearing noises you have never heard before.

He did a phenominal tune and the vx pumped out 289kw/387hp.

For how lethal it is it drives soo well, very smooth. A perfect street car.

Dyno vid here:
    http://youtu.be/inpgJzSuSfw

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

Been a fair while since i updated.

Cosmetically thres nothing new since the last time i posted. But i did enter Easter Car Mania up at Winton for a heap of fun.

After what the vx put me through last year it copped alot of payback.

I drove it up and drove it back with no issues thank goodness.

also the vx was the cover photo for one weekn on the commodores plus group. tuff.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Shifty
    Shifty
    Participant

Nice clean car mate, with the forged bottom and all the expensive parts are you planning more power?

Also 20thou up pistion would be over the normal 10 thou max bore?

Nice build mate, keep us updated.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Somehow I missed this, thats a bloody nice spec list you have there buddy, nice ride :good:

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

Nice clean car mate, with the forged bottom and all the expensive parts are you planning more power? Also 20thou up pistion would be over the normal 10 thou max bore? Nice build mate, keep us updated.

no more power for this car mate. just leaving it as is. this is my next build: http://www.commodoresplus.com.au/forums/topic/gmvl86-in-the-build-stay-tuned/

it is a killer street car. hopefully come summer time i’ll have the time slips to prove it. currently ran 12.8 @113mph 2.1 60″ at calder park.

i honestly don’t know what the max bore is in an ls1. This hasn’t been re sleeved or anything but is 20″ thou up. It’s not one of those things ive been told but what i know as i ordered the pistons and got the machine work done. is what it is.

Somehow I missed this, thats a bloody nice spec list you have there buddy, nice ride

Definitely far from the Equipe it started out life as. It’s been and still is my daily from day dot. build it right once and it will last!

hoping to chase down 12.3-12.5 next time i race it. hard in a manual though. my reaction time is up the s##t haha

have you raced yours?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

have you raced yours?

No I haven’t raced mine yet.  I am planning too this coming summer, weathers pretty ordinary now here in SA. If all goes to plan going to run a couple of passes, do a little circuit work etc.  Plan on having it retuned, might go a flex sensor and get it tuned for max power on E85.  Right now it got a pretty easy rich 98 tune which is good for the street.

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

Does it have the compression for e85?

It’ll be fast. i’m even keen to see what sort of numbers it will do. Maybe at some point in the future i’ll come over to SA in the vl and race if they have a fast Friday or something. Be good to see yours in the flesh.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well I actually ran it on E85 when I first built it, its just harder to get hold of where I live, so i went 98.  As I understand it you don’t have to run big comp for E85, but a benefit of it is that you can more safely if that makes sense.  Eventually $$ permitting, I want to get the heads ported & shaved, run higher comp and a more aggressive cam and the e85.  But right now its really got more power than you need for the street.  Just had all the paint blemishes done, gotta say its looking mint right now :good:

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

Thats mint. As a spray painter by trade i completely understand what it takes to making a paint finish stand out from the rest. 2 bucket washing and a coat of wax at the start of every season and she’ll be looking schmick for years to come.

thats fair enough. even down our way [melbourne] there have been reports of united selling e85 per 20L barrel. which can only mean that in time it may disappear from the pumps. scary to think really.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

My tuner was telling me he had a customer come in recently and the pump E85 was actually only 67% ethanol.  So seems maybe the only real way to ensure its 85 is to buy drums of it as racing fuel.  I guess prob is once i do the compression at 13:1 or so to make the best use of E85 it will make it dedicated E85 even with a fuel flex sensor.  Paints awesome again now, I actually think i might just get this guy back each year to do his thing to keep it perfect.  I actually detest washing cars, always have, much rather work on them.

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant
    Well, it was a with a heavy heart i had to say goodbye to my first car Elsa.
    The go everwhere car that has pretty much been everywhere and done everything!
    It was a very memorable 200,000km’s over the 10 years at that,
    But, it was time to ‘let it go’.
    Thanks Elsa
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Bdj_007 Bdj_007.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Out with the old, in with the new :)

Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

Looked like a tidy rig.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.