This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,648 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,421 through 1,440 (of 2,649 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

A little bit of experimentation is all part of the fun.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Until it’s deemed illegal by the club President…

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Here’s a question for our friendly mod, every time I click on the latest post button for this particular thread it always goes to the first post?  Only does it on this thread, other threads work just fine

Delete this post if you want.

Profile photo of

Here’s a question for our friendly mod, every time I click on the latest post button for this particular thread it always goes to the first post? Only does it on this thread, other threads work just fine Delete this post if you want.

Yeah I get that as well…

————–

Today End!

Got the OK from the club to run the hand cuts so game on  :XD:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yep no worries we are aware of it. The honest truth is Georgie has her boyfriends parents out from the UK right now and has just finished her exams for her law degree honours year so she is a bit distracted right now :)  once the tour guiding is over and she comes up for air hopefully she can work out what’s going on :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Good work with approval for the tyres. Interesting to see how much better it goes.

Profile photo of

Good work with approval for the tyres. Interesting to see how much better it goes.

I didn’t break any rules as they’re written  ;-)

Yeah I figure it can’t be worse and if it saves me dropping another $1500 on rally tyres, wheels and brake mods I’ll be happy!

Profile photo of

Today End!

Bit more done, “Clean Bananas” I have to nip in and check mail for a few bits I’m waiting on to complete the engine.

Immortality
    Participant

I wish there was something we could do to turn down the temps in the banana oven more commonly known as the plenum :-(

Profile photo of

I wish there was something we could do to turn down the temps in the banana oven more commonly known as the plenum

Bit difficult when it’s exposed directly to the Crankcase and the Oil vapor in there…

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

U can run a shield that protects it from the oil spray.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Would still eventually heat soak though wouldn’t it?

Profile photo of

Would still eventually heat soak though wouldn’t it?

Yep, it needs an air gap to “work” and if the air is the same temp each side it’ll balance out…

Immortality
    Participant

This is why it pains me to put the banana’s back on my engine, that huge lump of alloy is one big heat sink and the air has such a long path to travel it gets plenty of time to heat it up.

Logging at the track we’ve seen temps around 90°C at the worst sitting in the staging lanes,  comes down once you get it moving but it’s costing power big time.  When logging the AIT’s seem fairly tied to engine coolant temps with little airflow.

Even just cruising to work in the early hours when ambient temps are in the low single digits I’ve seen AIT’s climbing to 50-60°C fairly quickly.

Profile photo of

This is why it pains me to put the banana’s back on my engine, that huge lump of alloy is one big heat sink and the air has such a long path to travel it gets plenty of time to heat it up. Logging at the track we’ve seen temps around 90°C at the worst sitting in the staging lanes, comes down once you get it moving but it’s costing power big time. When logging the AIT’s seem fairly tied to engine coolant temps with little airflow. Even just cruising to work in the early hours when ambient temps are in the low single digits I’ve seen AIT’s climbing to 50-60°C fairly quickly.

Does your ECU Pull timing based on IAT’s?

—————

Today End!

Well that’s it buttoned up, I used a one piece rubber sump gasket to see if I can head off the Holden Oil leaks, also added some stainless Rocker Cover Hardware for a little bit of bling as the originals were a mismatched collection, on the subject of the rocker covers it’s like Holden guessed where the bolt holes should be no wonder these things are drippy at best…

That’s it for today, I’ll mask it up tomorrow and blow some paint on it then make a start on the Trans!

Immortality
    Participant

The factory tunes are fairly poor in that regard, the new stuff from the PCMhack forum however does have allowances for charge temp.

Profile photo of

The factory tunes are fairly poor in that regard, the new stuff from the PCMhack forum however does have allowances for charge temp.

Awesome so there’s some degree of self preservation then!

Immortality
    Participant

That’s probably not a fair representation, the factory tune charge temp takes into consideration AIT and ECT to calculate the charge temp.  It’s fairly involved.

The newer tune from the PCMhack forum has simplified it somewhat for the user :)

Profile photo of

That’s probably not a fair representation, the factory tune charge temp takes into consideration AIT and ECT to calculate the charge temp. It’s fairly involved. The newer tune from the PCMhack forum has simplified it somewhat for the user :)

Ahhh ok thanks for the clarification, those IAT’s are horrible… had me a bit concerned there, NFI what tune is in the LE at all so it will be driven very gently till it’s sorted, hopefully it just goes into closed loop.

Immortality
    Participant

I know, I was quiet shocked the first time I saw it too.

I think the stop/start stuff is the real killer.  When there is airflow through the bay it’s not horrendous but stop and heat soak does it’s thing.  It takes a lot of cold air to suck that much heat out of such a large alloy chunk :(

Viewing 20 posts - 1,421 through 1,440 (of 2,649 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.