This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,648 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,001 through 1,020 (of 2,649 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Congrats on 1,000 posts Ian, top stuff mate, great build :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cant have too much spare material lying around, I am sure it will be turned (excuse the pun) into something useful at some stage….

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Thanks Gary!

That came up quick, and yeah all material eventually get’s used for something, 1 of the 150mm pieces is a left over from when I made the rear Hub adaptors way back…

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Are they done manual or NC?

Profile photo of

Are they done manual or NC?

Manual with a DRO Gary, they’re one off parts no real reason to write code to do them..

Profile photo of

Today!

Spent the morning cleaning and disinfecting the Lathe ready for hoursOswarf…

Just off to the Tip do dump the old swarf and 20L of old engine Oil then will see if I feel like machining today..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cool, I am in the middle of welding, reckon I would prefer to be machining…

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Hey Ian. I just noticed your running the ls9 cam. I was considering this until I found something slightly larger. Do u have an idle video?

Also so what’s your exhaust consist of?!

Profile photo of

Cool, I am in the middle of welding, reckon I would prefer to be machining…

Much of a muchness !

Hey Ian. I just noticed your running the ls9 cam. I was considering this until I found something slightly larger. Do u have an idle video? Also so what’s your exhaust consist of?!

Barely noticeable in the 402 Cav, I posted a vid awhile back of it idling, 4x Spiral Mufflers H pipe that’s it..

————

Today End!

Ok worked out a more elegant way to get my 50mm drop and not lose travel, it meant I only have to use half the material I was going to so cut the smaller billets in half, as I was cutting the first of the big pieces down I snapped a blade in the bandsaw so have to source some new ones before I can start on the rears..

Did one front as a proof of concept and it’s all good so I’ll knock the other one over tomorrow and weld them up, the rears will be similar but will be one piece with the flange part of it.

I offset turned the plates to put the Castor back where I had it, I’d maxxed it out as the big tyres hit the footwells if it goes any further back but if needs be I can rework the lower arms to kick the wheels forward if I want more (it steers fine so I probably wont.. )

Profile photo of benk
    benk
    Participant

So you machined in the castor/camber correction you wanted into the top adapter and cantered it in the strut plate? Not using the adjustable setup?

Profile photo of

So you machined in the castor/camber correction you wanted into the top adapter and cantered it in the strut plate? Not using the adjustable setup?

I have heaps of Camber adjustment left in the Stock setup and as I mentioned there’s no more Castor to be had without the tyres hitting so I machined that setting into the top plates!   :XD:

(wasn’t keen on how the adjustment was done anyway would prefer it fixed)

Profile photo of

Today End!

Made the second top mount welded em together and did a trial fit up, Nailed it, got my 50mm drop and retained all of my travel, I can also wind the springs up/down as needed thanks to the short stroke mod, I take it as a win!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Very neat/nice work, def a win!

Profile photo of

Very neat/nice work, def a win!

Thanks, pretty happy how it’s coming up, I’ll have to flare the guards but that was going to happen for the Semi Slicks anyway, managed to order some bandsaw blades from Hafco last night so should knock the rears over this week!

I wasn’t really happy with the adjustable top mounts anyway they were showing signs of fretting after 12 minutes of competition so failure wasn’t far off..

Profile photo of benk
    benk
    Participant

Awesome stuff! Got any pics of the fretting?

BGF tyres look real tuff on a commodore haha.

Profile photo of

Awesome stuff! Got any pics of the fretting? BGF tyres look real tuff on a commodore haha.

No pics sorry Ben, it was on the underside of the Top plates that I painted, you could “see” the pattern of the intermediate plate starting to etch into the top plate, not a good sign after 12 minutes of competition..

LOL yep the BFG’s are a bit of a compromise as they don’t do rally tyres in 16″ and I need the 16’s to go over the AP Callipers…

They seem to work well enough I might by a groover and experiment..

Profile photo of

Today End! 

Talk about one step forwards two back, today I added a jump to the right…

Made a start of the flares, I chose the damaged guard to practice on just in case, a good thing as it turns out.. Munted that guard totally as I needed 30mm but to get that it was pulling the ends of the guard in and looked like arse.. Off to my Mates wreckers and collected a replacement guard, on the way there I had a brainwave.. I’ll buy a couple of scrap VE guards cut the flares off and weld them over mine then trim the stock lips off

I put it down to the heat it seemed like a good idea at the time, got back mounted the replacement up then cut a flare off and did a trial fit… WTF was I thinking, this car was meant to be easily repaired with stock bolt on panels, I’d have put a week into the guards to finish them to my standard as well as paint and if I bent it rinse and repeat… bzzzz

Sat and looked at it for a bit then had another brainwave, I unbolted the bottom of the guard and pulled it out BINGO there’s my 30mm, made some spacer brackets and while it’s not pretty it’s a race car so doesn’t really matter!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

It’s about time u downed the fancy tools and started to work like me.

Profile photo of

It’s about time u downed the fancy tools and started to work like me.

Just couldn’t bring myself to spend weeks making a pair of guards that might become disposable Cav..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nobody makes a gumby set of basic bolt on flares for these?  Just a thought, something cheap and cheerful?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,001 through 1,020 (of 2,649 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.