This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,648 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 681 through 700 (of 2,649 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Today End!

Back from the Alignment, Rear was a bit fiddly but I always thought it was going to be as I couldn’t get a left hand tap to do opposing rod ends, all came good in the end, front could have been left as I set it up and it would have been fine but we got it “perfect” all in all a success, just having a burger with the lot for lunch then I’ll unload!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I hope by “unload” you mean take it for a bit of a fang!!

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

need vids and pics

Is there a local track ?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of

I hope by “unload” you mean take it for a bit of a fang!!

LOL nah not yet still have a few details to sort out!

need vids and pics Is there a local track ?

Yep my “local” track is about 25 Km’s from my home and for sure I’ll get some vids up!

—————

Today p.s

Well it’s turned a Tyre in Anger… after I unloaded it I backed it down the drive to put it back in the Shed, gave it a squirt WOW accelerates like a scalded Cat on Dirt!!

In a related note the guy I built the Evo8 for awhile back bought it back for a visit, he’s had it retuned and is now running 34psi on e85, he wanted me to take it for a spin to see what I thought… Damn fast Tin Can is what it is!!

sands vs
    Participant

Well it’s turned a Tyre in Anger… after I unloaded it I backed it down the drive to put it back in the Shed, gave it a squirt WOW accelerates like a scalded Cat on Dirt!!

Any way to fit a front lsd to this and how would it effect the way it hooks up and handles?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of

Well it’s turned a Tyre in Anger… after I unloaded it I backed it down the drive to put it back in the Shed, gave it a squirt WOW accelerates like a scalded Cat on Dirt!! Any way to fit a front lsd to this and how would it effect the way it hooks up and handles?

Have been looking into a Quaife unit to fit it but no real luck tracking one down, The downside is massive understeer, my centre diff rear biases under power so it’s not a huge issue like when I had an open centre diff..

Profile photo of

Today End!

Where do I start… this will be a long one, Checked the weather forecast this morning 24c all good, went down to the Shed and started knocking over the items left on the Whiteboard…

Got them all done then heard a twang/clatter… The James Bond ejector handbrake button had self ejected again, in the past I’ve tried a few things to keep it on including epoxy… Made a Billet one with a Grub screw so all fixed.

Decided to go for a shakedown run to the end of my road, about 10>15 Km’s where it turns to dirt, went a bit further into the bush turned around and headed back, gave it a big squirt on dirt all good (terrifying but good) and noticed a smoke trail…. had an idea what it was so got the speed up to try and get as close to home as possible, got within 2.5 Km’s and had 0 Drive..

Parked it and crawled under to confirm my suspicion, it had blown the Trans Cooler hose off and pumped 12 liters of Oil out onto the hot exhaust (which I managed to burn my arm on)

Started walking home as there’s no phone reception down there, got a K from home when the Local Garbo picked me up, got back here loaded the trailer on and 10 liters of Trans Oil so I could do a temp fix and get it on under it’s own power..

When I got back to it one of the Local Farmers was checking it out as it looked a bit Suss being parked there with no Plates, I introduced myself and we had a chat, I asked if to save loading it he could follow me back to my place then bring me back to collect the Tonner to save loading it.. he was cool with that I fired it up and it immediately puked all 10 Liters on the road…

Ok load it on the trailer, it’s on a bit of an uphill and a manual winch was killing me, Farmer Pete jumped in and lent a hand so between us we got it on I thanked him and drove home slowly as I didn’t grab tie downs.. DOH, get home the next feat is how to get it off the trailer as the ramps make a hump, let some winch off and got the Tractor out to pull it over the hump, put it in park moved the Tractor unhooked the winch and rolled it off..

Now to get it into the Shed… Tractor and a Tow strap did that part with a lot of stop start turn the steering pull a meter turn the steering and so on, got it into the Shed on onto the Go jacks, it’s a bitch to move on my own and by this stage I was shagged, got the Ride-On mower out and used it as a Tug to get it to the Hoist.. cleaned under it then put everything away.. 400R Hose is SHIT…

btw 30c here….

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Braided?  At least you get some mechanical protection and the fittings seem pretty reliable (famous last words of course!!)

Profile photo of

I’ll give it a go with stainless zip ties… should have done it that way from the start… DOH

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Minor thing, one of the first runs I took mine on I had a pin hole in the power steering line, luckily I had made it back home before it let go.  So it goes alright then?

Profile photo of

Blindingly fast on Dirt, my Boot coolers work well, not a spec of dust inside the boot!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^sounds awesome, gotta be happy with that :good:

Profile photo of

Yep Math wins again  :XD:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

lol, as a guy I used to design machinery for used to say; “Gary its just physics, no sense trying to argue with it” :)

Profile photo of

Math isn’t really my strong point so I did have doubts how it would all work out… huge win on the front end geometry it aligned so easily!

Need to crank the sway bars up a bit it’s a bit “Tippy”

sands vs
    Participant

Getting so close now suppose few teething issues are to be expected.

Profile photo of

Getting so close now suppose few teething issues are to be expected.

Yeah in the grand scheme of things this is pretty minor, first time I’ve used this hose so it’s a learning experience..

Profile photo of

Today!

Went down this morning and dug out my SS Zip Tie tool, some 400R hose, PushLock fitting and did a dry run as a proof of concept, works perfectly!

sands vs
    Participant

Got any pics of what you are referring to?

Profile photo of

Got any pics of what you are referring to?

No but I’ll take some when the ties arrive, 400R is a new multipurpose hose it’s E85 safe, Oil, Coolant, Trans Oil pretty much everything “safe” It’s sold as Pushlock hose  so normally no clamps are used, when I was assembling it all I wasn’t happy how soft it is so added nylon cable ties just in case…

One of the ties failed from the exhaust heat then the Hose blew off the barb, You can’t use normal Hose clamps as the barbs are sharp and ends up cutting into the hose creating a fail point, Aeroflow supply narrow Crimp bands but they need to be fitted during assembly as they won’t go on over the fitting, Norma do a range of Cobra Clamps that can be opened up to go over the fitting and are narrow enough to seat between the barbs but unless you want to buy 100 of each size they’re hard to find..

A Mate suggested Stainless Cable Ties, I’ve used these in the past to hold Heatwrap on Headers and they work just like the Nylon ones, I even have the proper tensioning/cutoff tool so have ordered 100 of them in a black coating!

Viewing 20 posts - 681 through 700 (of 2,649 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.