This topic contains 297 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Surfwagon Surfwagon 7 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 298 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Difillipno don’t make 1 7/8 do they ??

Thought the only of the shelf ones are all 1 3/4 at the biggest

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I believe they were custom made ;)

Profile photo of VPGTS76
    VPGTS76
    Participant
    Supporter

They were custom made… :)

Profile photo of

So it’s been feeling way down on power and getting worse. Threw it in the dyno on Wednesday and…. 302rwhp (225rwkw) is the best it could muster. Now this wasn’t overly surprising as I knew that it was well down. What was surprising is that it is nosing over from around 4500rpm. With this manifold, exhaust etc it should make maximum power somewhere around 5900-6100rpm

So something is majorly wrong. The dizzy cap seems to spin on the dizzy and couldnt free the dizzy up at all. Would that account for the huge loss though? (It’s around 100rwhp down)

Was blowing a heap of unburnt fuel out of the exhaust on the dyno so the operator reckons it is an ignition issue.

Just frustrating

Profile photo of Guzzler
    Guzzler
    Participant

Big fan of this car. Let me if your going to Harry’s or I can meet you for Cruz down south.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

If the cap is rotating that’s timing. Did  they bother to throw a timing light on it?

Could also ls odo the basics. Comp test and leak down.

Profile photo of VPGTS76
    VPGTS76
    Participant
    Supporter

Replace O2 Sensor and ECU coolant sensor as this happened to mine….

Car has sat around and hardly been driven……

would run like a massive pig id it was dizzy as timing would be massively out…

Profile photo of

Yeah they put a timing light on it and it had 20deg. Not sure what figure it should be. Dyno guy reckoned 28 or something. Ill throw a full set of sensors at it and a new dizzy whilst also checking for collapsed cats etc. as Cav suggests will them do a compression test and see if it’s down on Comp.

The thing that I can’t get my head around is could a sensor really affect levels that much to be that far down.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Timing sounds wrong.

Its meant ant to have a banger engine isn’t it?

Profile photo of

Yeah it is a come full roller 383. The reason I had it on the dyno is I could feel that it was massively down on power. I honestly expected a worse figure it feels that far down.

Profile photo of VPGTS76
    VPGTS76
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah they put a timing light on it and it had 20deg. Not sure what figure it should be. Dyno guy reckoned 28 or something. Ill throw a full set of sensors at it and a new dizzy whilst also checking for collapsed cats etc. as Cav suggests will them do a compression test and see if it’s down on Comp. The thing that I can’t get my head around is could a sensor really affect levels that much to be that far down.

Yes if coolant sensor is fucked it retard engine and will over fuel engine massively.

Profile photo of

Where is the sensor mate?

Profile photo of VPGTS76
    VPGTS76
    Participant
    Supporter

Where is the sensor mate?

Hi mate,

Side of thermostat housing it’s the 2 wire sensor….

Also check roller rocker adjustment…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profile photo of

So put a new coolant temp sensor in it and new O2 sensor in it, checked the cats too and no issue. Ran it up on the dyno. 301rwhp. No difference.

Pulled the chip out, look what we find a COME chip. No surprises really. Read off the chip and its 10yrs old or more, has all the knock stuff turned off (yet the motor has knock sensor and its all hooked up) and the total timing is set at 24deg.

This is when I start to get a little pissed off as I was told the car had a dyno tune every year to keep it at the top of its game. The chip is locked and can’t be overwritten and is clearly a stock off the shelf chip. So we start adding timing, more and more and more and the thing will not make any power. Almost 35deg timing and it made a best of 312rwhp. At this point I’m now very pissed off.

I am absolutely adamant it has dropped a heap of power so something has changed. It sounds strong on the dyno but just noses over from about 4800rpm.

The tuner wants to pull the timing cover off and check that the cam has been installed properly. The cam can’t magically go out and as I said something has changed so it has to be a simple thing. If it has dropped a lobe or valve spring or lifter or something you’d hear it and itd run like a dog which is not the case. It starts first go, idles steadily and sounds normal.

Fuck I’m depressed about it

Profile photo of KAL SPL
    KAL SPL
    Participant

Well that’s shit news !

Profile photo of Narva*2010
    Narva*2010
    Participant
    Supporter

No good mate.  Not having knock sensor active and static 24deg would definately be hurting power.  AFR all good on the dyno?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

What was it claimed to have had? When the Boys saw it at the winter warm ups they did say it wasn’t an aggressive motor.

I Always thought it was a baby cammed 383 + chip package. Most likely to sit bananas. Which is about right given the timing pumped into it.

Hopefully iit’s works out for Ya.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    • This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Does it have a solid cam ?

Profile photo of

Supposedly a hydraulic roller cam. Has adjustable rockers which the dyno guy says isn’t normal for a hydraulic roller? Supposed to have made 391rwhp. It ripped and now doesn’t this is the reason I put it on the dyno. I’m not surprised that it’s making such a low figure as I knew it was way down. Just don’t know what’s fucking changed.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Well if it’s blowing unburnt fuel out on the dyno have you cleaned the plugs or replaced them and replaced leads and coil ??

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 298 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.