HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralInterior & TrimSeat Belt Retracting Slowly

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

In my VR one of the rear seat belts retracts very slowly. I am going for roadworthy soon, worried they may ping me on it. Anybody know if there is an easy fix to get them working better again or do I need to replace the whole thing?

Profile photo of Brockfan05
    Brockfan05
    Participant
    Supporter

Ha, finally I can offer some advice!! In my experience as a mature age apprentice mechanic, I have actually fixed a number of seat belt issues. You need to access the retractor reel, give it a thorough vacuum out around the whole area as it will probably have 20 + years of crud in there. Then get yourself some white spirits, wet a cloth with it and run it up and down the length of the belt until its clean. Then get some silicone spray, and pull the belt out the full length, then lube all the reel mechanism with the spray. Keep doing this while you then let the belt retract, then pull the belt out again etc etc until it frees up. Should be good to go :)

Profile photo of Wombles
    Wombles
    Participant
    • 1995 VS Acclaim v6. Soon to be supercharged 1995 VS Executive 5L. 1973 Holden Torana Deluxe

• View build HERE

Or… Just pull the seat belt out, grab a can of tyre shine and give it a spray. I was skeptical at first but tried it on my front belts and it worked very well!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Ha, finally I can offer some advice!! In my experience as a mature age apprentice mechanic, I have actually fixed a number of seat belt issues. You need to access the retractor reel, give it a thorough vacuum out around the whole area as it will probably have 20 + years of crud in there. Then get yourself some white spirits, wet a cloth with it and run it up and down the length of the belt until its clean. Then get some silicone spray, and pull the belt out the full length, then lube all the reel mechanism with the spray. Keep doing this while you then let the belt retract, then pull the belt out again etc etc until it frees up. Should be good to go :)

Cheers mate, exactly the info I needed. I can imaging when the car was going through the respray there was dust going everywhere. I had a look on eBay and they are not cheap to just replace!

Or… Just pull the seat belt out, grab a can of tyre shine and give it a spray. I was skeptical at first but tried it on my front belts and it worked very well!

Sounds like a combination of the above is the go.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice, will have a go on the week end and post up how I go :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.