HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralDrivelinesalisbury or 9"

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey as title says Salisbury or 9″ I have the v8 lsd Salisbury 1980 vb so I know what I can get for 9′ but can I get stronger axles and a Detroit locker (real one ) not a trutrack ….. future will be LSA

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

9inch

the sals wont handle the LSA.

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Salisbury with lsd still worth a bit of money to the right person so coin would help fund a 9 inch which can be built as far as the wallet stretches…then you can beat on car relentlessly  as if Cav had borrowed it haha

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

One thing I do well is “beat”

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Cheers Guys that’s what I would like to do go the 9″ like I had in vk with Detroit locker loved that thing two wheels when every you asked for if with your right foot

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

With salisbury/borgwarner diffs always felt no traction on street probably live forever…slicks & traction with big grunt start wondering how long lol.

Not biggest fan of heavy chunky ass 9 inch but got to admit they take abuse easier than a punched kangaroo..

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not biggest fan of heavy chunky ass 9 inch

One reason I went 12 bolt in mine (irs though), sort of the Chev 9″.  But the 9″ is tried and true that’s for sure.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Blokes are running 9’s and some even 8’s on the Borgwarner.

Thats what ill be using.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

The older Sals is a bit different unfortunately, not as many bits available as the BW diffs.

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Think he’s going tremec behind the lsa….vulture like me would smash a 9 inch with manual & no confiscation law  :evil:

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

Talking to a mate who has run 10’s with a Salisbury, the spider gears are the weakest link, a full spool will amend the weakest link to the axles. If they survive the transbrake and slicks, the next thing to let go will be the cap bolts holding the centre in. The centre will be left lying on the ground as proof. There are no gear sets between 3.55:1 and 4.44:1 currently.

With the current prices of VLT diffs at $1500(stock)-3000(tru-track, billet axles etc) depending on extent of mods, the logical option is to get a VN-VS diff (same diff but longer wheel to wheel) and have shortened to desired width or throw the 28 spline centre into a VL 6 housing with $895 billet axles thrown in. Gear sets can be had cheap in 3.9/4.11 etc from a Pintara.

9 inch gives you the ultimate and choice and parts availability with good pricing on many components. Beware of dodgy welding, cut and resplined axles. Also be wary of pinion angles, especially with a lowered car and a one piece tailshaft. Many rub on the tunnel.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^info like that TUF is why forums shit all over FB for actual tech info, nice work.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey yip going t56 so tremec have decided to go 9″ Detroit would never put a spool in as I’ll be driving on the street a lot , I had a one piece shaft and 9″ in the vk with adjustable top arms so was able to adjust pinion angel ,

as for axles went through two before I got a billet one made just on one side as other side was not modified

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

hey all Thanks for all your input decision has been made now that I have a 9″ sitting in my garage all set up for the vb commodore just got to sort Detroit and gears as it’s 2.75 open at the moment have put more detail on my build page

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.