HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineReverse flow Supercharger

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SouthRidge
    SouthRidge
    Participant

So i have a crazy question,

Can a supercharger be driven in reverse flow(blowing instead of sucking)?
    Ultimately changing the intake to a discharge, for an example a twin screw with its rear entry intake through to  a valley discharge reversed. :wacko: (Im not talking about a reverse flow engine) more a manifold setup to suit a “reversed” supercharger setup.

I have done some research across the net, there is supporting theories of flipping/switching the existing rotors around working with as little as 10% loss in power potential??

Just want to clear this up before i read anymore bs.

Cheers

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Can’t see it being that efficient as the Ports are what sets the “timing” for the rotors, a lot of chargers are mounted upside down, ie: LSA, Edelbrock/Harrop E-Force/Stealthforce but still breathe in through the end and out through the bottom/Top..

Is there a reason behind all this, what do you hope to achieve?

SouthRidge
    Participant

Just wanted to play around with the concept for a supercharger manifold design incorporating twin or single water IC. An upside down setups is what i originally wanted to do but then i got thinking… and researching… and i guess dreaming of crazy setup that would require a reverse flow sc but im not all that convinced either.

Ill start a thread on hear when I start with the Manifold. Its going to be my new project that my wife wont complain about as I’m not building cars up in the garage. Just a hack manifold design to build up without taking up to much space in garage.

SouthRidge
    Participant

This is the sort of stuff i’m finding on the net that suggest the Eaton and likely other twin screw models could flow in reverse???. Although i would be looking into a completely different design in manifold like the modern up side down setups.

http://www.moranav6racing.com/category.html?CategoryID=43

What you guys reckon?

SouthRidge
    Participant

Found this youtube video with a reversed supercharged setup running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QihhPx4tTCk

Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

It sounds possible, but supercharger housings are generally designed to flow a certain direction, with one side of the rotors under vacuum, and one side under pressure. And the port shapes and runners are designed to flow a certain way as well.

Theoretically they wouldn’t be as efficient flowing in reverse. Would you make up the difference in efficiency by adding an IC setup? Could you adapt a IC setup without having to reverse flow the supercharger?

Maybe play with something like a Magnussen Heartbeat which has cooling cores built into the top cover (if i remember correctly)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Mine..

SouthRidge
    Participant

That is a very nice bit of gear.

A few reasons behind reversing the flow is to have both the intake and blower drive at the front and from the back outlet run across the top to an ic for both bank of runners.

Im also really entertaining the idea of reverse flow also because budget.
    There are plenty of cheap m112’s out there. There is one very nice M112 (that wouldnt need to be reversed) developed for the xf jag that has the drive and intake at the front but they are hard to come by in aus and our dollar is rubbish to import at the moment.

Its one of things that in the new year of 2016 im hopping there maybe some bargains out there and a stronger aus dollar.

Lastly i dont want to invest too much into something that i will ultimately chop and change ruining its value as it would be beyond repair.

SouthRidge
    Participant

Okay so i should probably start a new thread or rename this one.

Ill just tell you what I’m wanting to achieve and its something unique?possibly, pointless? mostlikely. It would provide a challenge of prototyping unique parts through CAD drafting and 3d printing/ later casting or welding up components from aluminium.

I have my Factory 5lt bunch of bananas manifold. I want to cut it up add flanges and extend the runners allowing an SC to sit snug inside with water to air ic.

Normal rotation sc – Remove the Valley intake and front tb. mount sc upside down running into ic the down port runners. The tb intake would instead come from the back via elbows plumbing either side borrowed from some m90’s

If reverse flowing. Valley mount the sc Utilise the factory tb position with an additional drivers side tb, the rear of the sc now the outlet runs back across the top throught the ic’s down the new runners tp the cylinder heads.

In both cases i want to retain the bananas casting or at least the fuel injector rail ornamental covers that would be chopped up to be use as part the ic’s that run on each bank.

Crazy yeah but certainly will keep me busy all year round.

I understand a picture would help with explaining but im just researching at this stage and will start to creat some CAD design to flesh it out later.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

There is a lot of good free CAD models on grab cad https://grabcad.com/library that where I got a really nice LS engine.  Not sure anyone has done a Holden V8 with bananas but you might be lucky.  Cool little project, as you say maybe start a new thread on it when you can :good:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.