This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Michael Michael 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Hey guys,

Anyone out there using or will be using a Racepak dash? I’m considering getting one for the VK to replace the factory cluster. I like the look of them, plus they provide a heap more data and probably a little more accurately than the factory ones. I’ve seen the basic IQ3 Street setup for around $1300, but I’m not sure if additional wiring or modules are needed. They can read vitals from the OBD port, but I dont know if it needs any other feeds as well.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

What ecu do you plan to use. Any ls pcm  pre 2008 lags when using the obd2.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Using a 2016 E38 that came with the motor

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

What year is the actual ECU? It should be ok IMO

Majority of the info you will be able to obtain from the OBD2 port. But there are certain parameters that the ECU does project with the Racepak so additional sensors would probably have to be used. Thats where it gets costly, but it wouldnt be many depending on what you really want.

I was originally going down the racepak path, but have since considered buying a tablet from amazon.com for like $80 and trialing the AUTOMETER OBD2 reader ($250). If it works, ive saved a bucket. If not ill sell it to some idiot on FB lol

Heron SSV
    Participant

Its out of the car my engine came from which was a 2016 VF S2 Redline, I assume the ECU is the same or only a little older, depending how far in advance GM made them.

My idea behind that dash is that it shows all info needed for rego (not sure if that dash is actually legal, but lets assume it is for the sake of the discussion). At the moment i have a mechanical speedo but i need an electic speed input for the ECU. the conversion kit came with a Dakota Digital electric speed sender that wires into the ECU, but i cant run a speedo cable. Another option is to either get my dash converted to electric speedo, or get an x-box mechanical speedo cable drive thingy, I think both options are around 500-600 bucks. i also need something that displays what gear in in as i want to fit my Stealth ratchet shifter in the factory console so it looks stock, similar to a few of the guys on here. My engine harness has wiring for  engine temp, oil temp etc. so i was hoping i could run the dash solely from the OBD plug without having to fork out for additional wiring and sensors. Dont want to spend the money on the dash and find out it’ll cost twice as much to get it to work.

I love the idea of keeping the factory dash so the interior looks stock, but i also like the look of the Racepak dash, so i’m in two minds. Cost is also a factor, my pockets arent that deep

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

You will need a gps module to run speedo on the racepak.

To run what gear your in you will prob need the Dakota box to send the racepak a signal anyways.

The dash should be legal for road use.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks Cav. I might get the factory dash modified for the time being, that’ll probably be the cheapest option.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey Heron if you keep the dash don’t buy the x-box they’re not accurate enough , when I do mine I will either change the rear of gear box easier on manual than auto ,or get dash modified electronic , I’m not getting the race pac dash but looking at the race pac smart wire so a cool bit of kit

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

My mate was told he couldn’t engineer a gps speedo due to them losing signal in tunnels.

How many sensors will the racepak read out through the obd2 port? Kinda seems like you’ll be buying a good expensive product to only use a little bit of its potential.

Heron SSV
    Participant

That’s what I’m trying to find out Michael, they have lots of potential but I don’t want to outlay cash for the dash only to find out I have to spend the same amount on wiring and sensors to get it to work properly.

Judge – definitley looking into getting the dash modified, also found out that Dakota Digital make a electronic speed sensor that you can connect a speedo cable to so you get both types of speed input:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dakota-Digital-Pass-Through-8K-Pulse-Generator-for-Transmissions-SEN-01-4160-/231532041096?epid=1523228626&hash=item35e8629388:g:JSsAAOSwpDdVLSfq

Dunno if that will work though

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

The issue isn’t what the dash can read. It’s what the ecu puts out.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

i also need something that displays what gear in in as i want to fit my Stealth ratchet shifter in the factory console so it looks stock, similar to a few of the guys on here. 

I did that on mine, I have a write up with pics in my thread on how I did it.  I used a Dakota Digital unit, and custom fitted it into the console.  In may car (VR) with the glide I made up a new decal to look factory but only having D and L.  I used a manual gear knob and tuned up an adapter to fit it to the ratchet shaft.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

The issue isn’t what the dash can read. It’s what the ecu puts out.

MAP, oil pressure, coolant temperature, voltage.

Cant think of anything else.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Michael Michael.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.