HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralDrivelinePro Ratchet Reverse Lever Removal

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I have seen mentioned somewhere that its possible to modify a B&M Pro Ratchet shifter to remove the reverse lock out lever.  As I understand it (correct me if I am wrong) its not required on a road car.  If it is possible I would like to do it so I don’t have to cut the console plate for it.

Anyone know anything about it and how its done?

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-90754.html http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4×4-discussion/176665-how-make-b-m-pro-stick-offroad-friendly.html

You sir are a true champion :)

So you need to be a registered member on the Bronco forum to see his pics.  So I have joined, but thought I might save the pics etc and post them here for anyone else to use, i am sure being car guys they wont mind sharing with their Aussie friends.  When I do mine I will take more pics and do a more detailed description, but very very helpful :good:

This is his write up;

Below are some pics of the parts I removed from the B&M pro ratchet to disable the reverse lock out– all that was required was to grind the pin off in the second pic– to figure out how to disable the mega shifter simply remove the outer cover then move the reverse lockout lever while taking notes on what does what– this is without a doubt a great modification unless your worried about being NHRA legal– the reverse lockout is strictly a maximum safety feature for drag strip cars & even though it’s a one handed easy deal on the pro rachet it still sucks compared to free ratcheting with no BS levers

His pics

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

MarZella did it. You just have to drill the riverts out from memory.

Pretty sure to be LEGAL it has to be there. Other wise u can hit reverse. At speed. Which is very bad. Mate did it at 140kph

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Don’t think your right about it being a legal requirement (could be wrong)  You don’t have a manual lockout lever on a regular auto.  I mean you would have to go through neutral then to reverse.  I do know you have to have an indicator to say what gear you’re in though.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

You have to lift the handle on the lever in a stock auto. It doesn’t just push through.

Every car not just Holden have a button or a gate that stops you from smashing it straight into reverse from D or N.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea fair point.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

If being legal is an issue. Don’t do it. If not chop away. Just always remember what gear your in. lol

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Maybe your right though, sort of gone so far down the legal path so far, probably doesn’t make sense to stuff it up for the sake of a small lever.  And I guess it only means cutting a small slot.  Starting to think I leave it as is.  cheers for that.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Maybe your right though, sort of gone so far down the legal path so far, probably doesn’t make sense to stuff it up for the sake of a small lever. And I guess it only means cutting a small slot. Starting to think I leave it as is. cheers for that.

exactly right it’s a simple cut with a dremel which I think your more then capable of.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea, must admit sort of hadn’t thought it through from a legal point of view.  As I say after everything I have done so far I would be pretty annoyed at picking up a defect just because of that little lever.  I also have gone to the trouble of buying the Dakota digital gear selection display as well, as i have been told that what car gear the car is in has to be displayed day/night too. Well hopefully the pics above help someone sometime ;-)

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

I’ve changed from drive to reverse in a 4L60 at 60km/h and it didn’t do anything. I think the computer must’ve stopped it from changing.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^4L60e though is electronic, powerglide that I am running isn’t.  The ECU will effectively think its a manual.  So I reckon if I went drive to reverse in mine it wouldn’t end well :negative:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I’ve changed from drive to reverse in a 4L60 at 60km/h and it didn’t do anything. I think the computer must’ve stopped it from changing.

Apples and Oranges mate. Completely differently.

Mate hit Reverse at 140kph. Not cause he selected it. But cause the shitty cable stretched. Did about 3x 360’s and nearly wiped the car into the wall.

These MECH boxes WILL select reverse if commanded too

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Trouble is mistakes happen when its getting busy. I really dont want to take the chance now i understand it could happen.

Profile photo of Marzella
    Marzella
    Participant

After a fair bit of thought I just took mine out as it doesn’t look std, did not want to cut out for the lockout plus it’s a pain in the ass… If your keeping the b&m ball plus a tbrake button then I’d just keep it, but end of the day reverse lockout is the last thing a cop would look at on your car lol

You won’t go to reverse under WOT you have to go through neutral first with a ratchet… Cavs talking about something completely different and why it’s so important to make sure the cables set up correctly and not fucked.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^ cheers for that, I reckon its leave it as is, then see how it goes actually using it :-)

Profile photo of ASPO355
    ASPO355
    Participant

Sorry pocket post but…

Its an interesting mod but it’l make me a little nervous…
    Reverse pattern trans would be a little safer

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea, i’m just going to leave it as is,  other stuff to concentrate on like getting the illumination for the gear selected sorted etc.  And frying tyres of course :yes:

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.