HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralCar Audio & ElectricsPower wires in VS V6 for new gauges ?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of OZ38 OZ38 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

Have to start a new topic here to help identify the best place to tap in to the VS V6 wiring for Autometer Gauges.

The one thing all the gauges need is a wire from Ignition. Is there an easy source to get this from on the VS V6 wiring ?

I think I have found a couple of wires I can use for illumination & common earthing.

Cheers

• This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of OZ38 OZ38.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of OZ38 OZ38.
    Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

What I did is just use a spade terminal and push it into one of the empty fuse slots in the fuse panel under the dash.  I used an inline fuse.  The better option if there are any spare fuses in the panel would be to wire into the back of the panel and then put a fuse in it’s regular spot (but I was to lazy to do that).

For the circuit to back light the gauges I tapped into the wire at the ciggy lighter.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I did a similar thing, but in my case there weren’t any spare, so I cut one of the existing wires and soldered onto that.  I then upped that fuse by from memory 5 amps.  No issues since.

Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

Ok so I am looking to test the fuses & see which ones get power when the ignition key is past the accesories on the reds ? That sound about right does it ?

Cheers

Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

So thinking of grabbing power from the number 10 fuse, instruments etc. Will it matter that it is fused a only 7.5 amps for the Autometer gauges ignition source ?

Found other points for the earth & illumination of the gauges.

Cheers

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

I done the same i just used the factory fuse location for the airbag as my car doesnt have airbags, and cut the wire from the back of it and hooked up the 3 gauges that are under my radio to that, that fuse is solely now for the Autometer gauges so ive just used a 10 fuse

As i have a statesman dash in the car i replaced the factory clock with a LED voltmeter which, i wired in at a later date, i used a combination of what would of been the factory phone wires that are on the LHS of the dash, ran those to a fused relay, then used the remaining wires from the clock for the gauge, illumination etc

Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

I done the same i just used the factory fuse location for the airbag as my car doesnt have airbags, and cut the wire from the back of it and hooked up the 3 gauges that are under my radio to that, that fuse is solely now for the Autometer gauges so ive just used a 10 fuse As i have a statesman dash in the car i replaced the factory clock with a LED voltmeter which, i wired in at a later date, i used a combination of what would of been the factory phone wires that are on the LHS of the dash, ran those to a fused relay, then used the remaining wires from the clock for the gauge, illumination etc

After checking the airbag fuse location, that is also the perfect option for me as well. Didn’t realise till I checked it also is fed the same as the other listed ignition fuses there. Mine also is a pre airbag model.

Thank for that tip.

Cheers

Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

I done the same i just used the factory fuse location for the airbag as my car doesnt have airbags, and cut the wire from the back of it and hooked up the 3 gauges that are under my radio to that, that fuse is solely now for the Autometer gauges so ive just used a 10 fuse

After finding the back of that 15 amp airbag fuse had a small pink wire after the fuse, I am wondering if anyone know where the end of it goes to seeing as my model also is not equipped with Airbags ?

Looked around over on the passengers side where other models have the airbag but can’t see and wire that looks like it comes from that fuse. Would have been handy as it would be just a short wire from there to new gauges.

Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

New problem with the gauges I have fitted. The oil pressure gauge needle winds off the clock & pegs out to near the maximum when the ignition is turned to the reds. Once engine is fired up it moves a little more off the clock.

The brand new fuel pressure gauge doesn’t move  at all even with just ignition switch to reds or the engine running. A manual gauge  shows about 46psi on the fuel pressure at the same time.

Did check the sensor wire voltage & got a bit over 14+ volts while engine running. Did not think there should be voltage there seeing as the sensor wire screws direct to the sensor ?

I’m not finding any answers with Google for these problems.

Immortality
    Participant

Something really weird going on there.  What does the oil pressure gauge do if you disconnect sensor wire and power it up?

Try connecting the oil pressure sensor to the fuel pressure gauge and see if that moves then.

Are these Autometer gauges?

Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

Something really weird going on there. What does the oil pressure gauge do if you disconnect sensor wire and power it up? Try connecting the oil pressure sensor to the fuel pressure gauge and see if that moves then. Are these Autometer gauges?

Yes Autometer Pro Comp Ultralites.

The Oil Pressure does nothing if the sensor wire is disconnected & reds turned on.

The Oil Temp gauge was doing the same – pegging out on the max side of gauge when attached to the stock GMH water temp sender as a trial. Although later I got it hooked up to the correct sensor & earth that to the engine & gauge moved to the start of the face when reds turned on. So that seems like it will be ok when installed on new engine.

As for the electric Fuel Pressure I had another gauge unit here & connected it to the sensor on the current engine & it did everything right. So figure there is a power supply issue with the gauge in the dash atm.

Immortality
    Participant

Ahh.  Yes you would have to use the appropriate sender from Autometer.  As far as I’m aware all the gauges are internally the same, the only thing that changes is what is written on the gauge face.  Then Autometer have a sender to work with it.

Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

Got a new Autometer oil pressure sensor on the way. Hopefully that is the issue with oil pressure gauge.

Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

Well all my issues with gauges not working was a bad common earth. Did not think that would make a gauge peg out but obviously does. So the Fuel pressue, Oil pressure are working fine now 😊 .

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of OZ38 OZ38.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.