HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralBody & PaintPaint stripper vs sand or soda blasting

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

When I get my shell back from getting the roll cage/tubs/diff/aluminium floors done. I want to get the paint removed from the body.

I am doing the doors and boot lid at home using painter stripper.

Paint stripper or sand blasting or soda blasting?

Are there others?

which one and why?

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Michael Michael.
    Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

I wouldn’t suggest sand blasting due to the fact it generally warps panel work from the heat and makes for more work than it’s worth, I would recommend soda blasting due to the fact it’s a wet type blasting process and keeps the panels cool and shouldn’t warp anything, not sure where abouts you are or if you might have someone in your area doing it but I have a mate here in Queensland with a wet sand blasting business which is also very gentle on panelwork as well and seems to be a pretty quick process which can save time and money and just like soda blasting they can add rust inhibitors to the water to help with rust proofing, other than that there’s nothing wrong with good old paint stripper

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey guys was going to start a tread but this is already here, I am going to strip the whole car inside outsidewant a bare metal start , so have talked to a sandblaster who has done work for me and has come out mint, asked about doing a car only thing it takes time and patience , but just looking at options if any one has dealt with the different methods, so sand blasting gets every thing rust included , soda blasting does not get rust out , dip stripping strips every thing sealer rust paint filler but my not get paint back into every part, not interested in paint stripper or sanding

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

Sodablasting will remove rust just as well as sandblasting

Profile photo of Brockfan05
    Brockfan05
    Participant
    Supporter

Just a quick word on soda blasting – and I am certainly no expert. I have an old holden I need to have stripped, and a couple of professional painters have said that after soda blasting cars, the owners have had their fresh paint lift off the metal a year or 2 later. They recommended I use some other media to strip the car.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Yip soda blasting is out from what you just said and it does not remove rust three different places have said this about soda  so down to dip striping ( I know there is more work as to resealing all the seams but it just gets everything ) or garnet blasting lower pressure than sand , for the garnet cost 1500-2000 grand full car inside out , have not got a price for the dip striping yet

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.