HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineOil Accumulator LS

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 9 years ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Anyone had or is currently running an oil accumulator on their LS?

Naturally as-pirated, all-motor.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

You mean like an accusump?  I was seriously looking into one when I was going LS3 with stock sump, but the LSx is priority mains and I went with the Canton race sump so didn’t bother.  From what I read and heard they are a great idea though.  Particularly if you intend doing any track days where the cars cornering or braking heavily.

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah Accusump or Moroso, have an inkling pre-oiling the engine, particularly pressurising the lifters, cam and valvetrain on startup will prove worthwhile insurance.

Seems the weakest link in Gen IV at least is the cam/roller torque friction under 1900rpm.

Looking at three litre 35psi remote solenoid wired to ignition, plumbed at the bypass.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yep that’s what I was looking at and the way I was going to go.  You can mount them anywhere as well.  Sort of a poor mans dry sump :)

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah thats what I was thinking, good value, common sense improvement with no downside, except three litres more oil at change.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Been running one forever on my good engine due to the crappy design of the AWD Sump, I baffled it but wanted the extra peace of mind an accumulator gives, ran one on the rod knock prone 7M in my old Supra as well and never had a failure.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Build the engine right and it won’t need it. Unless it’s a situation like lj where the sump integrity was compramiaed

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

The hydraulics are a priority on this particular build as it runs high lift AFM collapsible lifters and Oil Control Valve for the Cam Phaser, which dictates critical oil supply.

Also addresses the seemingly typical under-lubrication of the camshaft face and bearings in these engines.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I agree, not sure what you mean Cav, its also very sound insurance when you are in an oil starvation scenario, like long corners at a track, or braking etc, and it adds oil volume which is only a good thing.  And yep instant oil pressure at start up can only be good.  I think its an insurance thing, you don’t have to have it…

Profile photo of

In my old Supra it could pull .95G sustained cornering on street tyres, also had a BBK so braking caused lots of slosh, without the accumulator I’d have lost engines left and right.. (lost one on a run back from Sydney before I had it, it was a litre down on oil and I had to get hard on the brakes to avoid a muppet on the freeway, got back on the power clack CLACK CLACK…)

When I dropped the L98/TO4Z in I kept the accumulator in the car, I was using an F Body sump and an improved racing baffle so bit of a belt&braces approach..

As I said earlier the AWD Sump is a joke Oil control wise, there’s 0 factory baffles in there and the Axle tube is in the way of building anything with swinging gates, I ended up making a Labyrinth baffle for it but still depend on the accumulator.

I don’t bother using it to preoil as you need to remember to charge it before shutting the engine down, I don’t even bother with any sort of control valve.

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Been running one forever on my good engine due to the crappy design of the AWD Sump, I baffled it but wanted the extra peace of mind an accumulator gives, ran one on the rod knock prone 7M in my old Supra as well and never had a failure.

Looks great, same place I was thinking.

What did you use exactly, Accusump 3 litre?

What pressure solenoid (I take it is not manual)?

Also what paint thanks?

Profile photo of

Looks great, same place I was thinking. What did you use exactly, Accusump 3 litre? What pressure solenoid (I take it is not manual)? Also what paint thanks?

Yep Moroso 3Qt, no control valve at all it’s a free floating system, it’s just Satin Black VHT Engine enamel, I use it on pretty much everything I make/build.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I don’t bother using it to preoil as you need to remember to charge it before shutting the engine down

Not sure that is 100% right.  An accumulator more or less is a volume split into two and separated by a moveable diaphragm.  You charge one side with air/nitrogen or whatever, that never changes, so lets say 50 psi,  the oil on the other side of the diaphragm is then kept at 50 psi.  There is then a valve connected to ignition.  As you start the car the valve opens effectively pre-charging the oil system to the pressure of the accumulator (50 psi).  Then as the engine runs if the oil goes above 50 psi it expands a little into the accumulator until the volume & pressure equalise, if the oil pressure drops below 50 (say in an oil stave situation) the oil is made up by the accumulator discharging an amount as needed.  You then turn the car off and the shut off valve closes, with the oil held at the precharge pressure, 50 psi ready to do it all over again.  isn’t that right?

Profile photo of

You need to precharge the Air side to +10 psi so it always has more pressure than the Oil side, in reality you then get your hot idle pressure less 10psi for preoiling, “might” work with a very light oil but anything else there isn’t enough “charge” in the accumulator to do much of anything at the next start, only way I found to make it work was to give the engine a rev switch the Solenoid off so you would have 50>60psi available the next day..

Also as a kid I worked for the company that made the Solenoids and they’re NOT the most reliable of controls..

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

So where did you plumb yours in IJ? I been thinking about purchasing a kit for the track build. I plan on running an external engine cooler so could i just plumb it off one of those fittings if i used a bolt on/spin on adapter?

Profile photo of

So where did you plumb yours in IJ? I been thinking about purchasing a kit for the track build. I plan on running an external engine cooler so could i just plumb it off one of those fittings if i used a bolt on/spin on adapter?

I just T mine into the Remote Oil Filter Line, you want it to be on the OUT line of the filter so it uses the filters non return valve as a check to stop it pushing the Oil back through the Pump.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.