This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Vn6cal Vn6cal 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Vn6cal
    Vn6cal
    Participant

Hi guys,

so getting up to the final stages of my car with new combo,

im looking at doing my diff now with some axles and center so figured why not shorten it and run a nice offset for some welds.

so question is what are you guys running with mini tubbed rear ends? I’m not going coil overs either so standard rear end. Also not going the sheet metal rolled tubs want to keep it factory looking.

only thing that I’m thinking is going to be rear control arm so what will be the limit tyre wise? Able to fit a 10′ slick and 28′ high?

also rim offset?

Profile photo of Summers
    Summers
    Participant

Aparantly there is a guy on the vn ss club site thats running a 28 inch slick on a srandard rear wheelwell but ive been searching through and can not find any width on that. Nor can i find any pics to actually show the rear tubs which i beloeve would at least need a mini tub to fit the width of a more common 28″ inch size. It does look damn tight diametre wise though

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

You either have the car 6foot in the air or you modify the tubs.

Not point shortening the diff if your not going to run deep dish IMO

Mate runs a vl diff with the tubs done with standard lower control arms. 295 rubber.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Profile photo of Vn6cal
    Vn6cal
    Participant

Yeah cheers summers I’ve heard many stories about how people have bashed there inner arches to clearance it for them but I haven’t seen exactly.

yeah cava I wouldn’t be shortening my diff if I wasn’t going to run a a decent offset was looking at something like 8 and a half with 3inch bs

but I wanted to see if anyone’s knows what I can fit going the way I want to.

im assuming your talking about Chris’ Vn?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Talking about mate anths.

You ou will need to do the tubs and depending on the offset u will have to roll and slightly pump the guards.

You can run up to 5inch back space without having to move the shocker mounts

This is what I have done in my VR. Tubs are a must tho

Profile photo of Vn6cal
    Vn6cal
    Participant

ah k second person now to say 295 with mini tub.

i won’t need that big so what did he do notch the lower control arm?

prettysure the welds come in 3 3/8 back space so maybe like 8.5 rim will be perfect combo.

now just need to find time to start the tubs :(

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Nothing to the control arms

one thing at a time first

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

vl diff,28 spline lsd &  machined vn axles…tappity tap with sledgie & guard rolling is more than enough to get good sized rubber under a vn with smart wheel choice…mates have fitted up big ass simmons/tyres under their cars.

Easily swallow 26×10 or 28×9 slicks.

Raise car with std springs can cram in 28×10 slick but one car started tearing apart factory 28 spline axles(400rwhp,traction & fully loaded stereo etc),was street car…owner didnt want to lighten car or step it up with rollcage & stronger driveline.

I do like cutting standard tub,moving it over inch or 2 like on early vb-k commodores then move bottom shock mount over same amount but only worth it on vn if wanting maximum visual effect or willing to pay good coin on a custom diff.

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

I know my car isn’t the same as a VN but my VH is running FR19s with a decent dish on the rear with 245 rubber. Rims are 9.5 inchs wide and the car has a standard VH diff. I’ve lowered the car but not dramatically. I was getting rubbing in the rear with the car lowered so got the guards rolled.

The rims are not made for the diff set up but when I get the VL Turbo diff shortened to suit the rims I’m sure I can at least fit 255 may be even 265 rubber without mini tubbing.

An idea for you is to get your hands on a VL diff. it’s narrower than the standard VN and that will save you a bit of $$$.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

VL DIFF, MC RACING 9.5 tears with a 275 won’t fit under a VN that’s been lowered.

IMO anything less the 255/275 on a 9.5 rear looks stretched and crap.

Profile photo of Vn6cal
    Vn6cal
    Participant

Cheers guys, I have intentions on tubbing it and I want to be able to keep the rear end down.

currently with my 235 et’s on a 8′ rim I get abit of rubbing along the lip but yeah I’ll end up rolling them and il be happy with a 275 60 think that’s like a 28′? Equiv

got a rough price to get diff shortened, full spool with my gears setup and new bearings 1200 still need axles. Fair price?

thinking I’ll end up getting a rear cover also

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Vn6cal Vn6cal.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Add good axles, then the tubs ur looking around 4500

Profile photo of Vn6cal
    Vn6cal
    Participant

I’m gonna do the tubs myself,

Thinking some aluma stars what you rkn?

gonna need to order the rims ASAP because pretty sure it’s like A 6 week wait from speed pro

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

Try competition engines. I bought my beadlocker rims from them $300-400 cheaper then VPW.

…and that’s each, per rim.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Michael Michael.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

VPW is a shit hole. Overpriced and sell fake/cheap products. Then when they fail they don’t give 2 fucks about you.

Profile photo of Vn6cal
    Vn6cal
    Participant

Yeah I usually deal with speed pro but I will contact Zoran as well, how long did it take for them to arrive Michael?

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

VPW is a shit hole. Overpriced and sell fake/cheap products. Then when they fail they don’t give 2 fucks about you.

Don’t hold back now Cav, tell us what you really think :-)

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Is that permission to drop the C bomb?

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

SLE: Can get b/w diff out of late vk’s they’re same length as vh salisbury..saves money on narrowing a diff…getting mine done through gearexchange…few ways to do it actually.

vn6cal; Still easy 3-4k exercise wheels,axles,diff housing,larger bearings for higher loading etc

I wouldnt order diff untill wheels/tyres measured & doublechecked.

If you like cruising & racking up the miles more than dragstrip then spools really suck arse compared to a truetrac.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

I only ever use VPW as a reference point because they stock most stuff.

Yeah I usually deal with speed pro but I will contact Zoran as well, how long did it take for them to arrive Michael?

Took a little while. Although they usually stock the alumastars and I ordered v-series. I think it was around a 2 month wait. I’m currently waiting for the fronts which I ordered mid January. They reckon mid March.

Maybe it’ll be possible to get a set on the same container.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.