HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineLS1 rebuld advice

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi All,

I’ve recently been having a toy with an old LS1 I bought secondhand for $400, gaining a bit of knowledge on how everything goes together and where the potential is. I’ll be hand-porting the heads for funzies (i’ll start a thread once my die grinder and Burrs arrive).

I’m eventually looking at rebuilding the LS1 in the monaro, and I need a little advice.

I want to get somewhere around the 300rwkw mark NA, with some ported heads and standard bottom end, and hoping to fall somewhere around the 6500RPM redline, which will mean new springs, cam and lifters at the least.

My questions are, are tie-bar lifters a better way to go? what’s the difference between them and using the usual plastic retainer arrangement???

Would my pushrods/rockers need to be changed if the cam is mid-high 230s? and finally will the rotating assembly handle that sort of rpm without any modification? Also keep in mind that this is a daily, it’s only ever been down the qtr once and isn’t “thrashed” (it’s just ticked over 150k).

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I rebuilt my ls1 last year. First time I’ve done it.

I just did re ring and new bearing s through out and updated some parts. I got a set of hand port 241’s on it and a “baby” cam. I used ls7 lifters and new trays as for my application tie bars weren’t needed.

Id recommend milling the heads to bump the comp up.   .030-.050 will get it up nicely. Always a good thing to re check rocker geometry. I ended up using 7.350 pushrods to get my preload right.

Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

I thought you only had to preload solid liters?

aren’t hydraulic roller lifters supposed to take up the slack for you? either way that sounds ok.

Cav what kind of figures did you end up with? where did you set your rpm limiter?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Hyd u need preload

solid u need lash m

my cam is only 215/223 .601/.610 112lsa. Limiter is 7000

made 266rwkw on APS engine dyno.  Ruffly 460-470fly HP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.