HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineLS1, LS6 & LS2 intake manifolds

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

Just came across this discussion with accompanying article about which manifold works the best.  It would seem that the stock ls6 manifold trumps a stock ls2 manifold the whole rev range!  Quite interesting considering I was always under the impression the ls2 manifold was an upgrade over the ls6 manifold.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289456#/forumsite/20899/topics/289456?page=1

I’d also like to see how these manifolds would match up with some ported heads.

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

I think the LS2 benefits from porting but i think the misconception is the LS2 is better just because opening for throttle is larger than ls6.

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Another link explains the reason is not plenum volume nor throttle opening but the radius bars first implemented on the LS6 that help the air transition from the plenum to the runner.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/ve-holden-commodore-2006-2013/75497-difference-between-l67-l98-6-0l-engines.html#post2569642

In effect it promotes tumble of more air down the runners which has an effect on velocity. Rick Crawford, the World Record holder for N/A 6/6.2 discovered a means to implement radius bars on the L76/LS3 intake and is one of the most important mods for the GenIV dragsters.

The overall effect of tumble on combustion phasing is significant, however obviously it is not a power adder per sé, without proper tuning the gain is about 5rwhp on bolt on cars and 12-15 rwhp on cammed setups.

Removing the posts, installing radius bars and porting the throttle body is a popular alternative to FAST, with core exchange services available through RCR and GPI.

I did this on my NA unopened bolt-on L77 in 2012 and was around 300rwkw.

Naturally as-pirated, all-motor.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^nice info Pir4te, thanks for sharing.

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

^nice info Pir4te, thanks for sharing.

Seconded!!  very useful information right there!

I’m quite interested in this at the moment after reading this discussion : http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/archive/index.php/t-99931.html

I’m seriously considering going cnc ported ls3 heads decked .020″ and FAST lsxr manifold with the standard ls2 cam for something different.  Obviously not going to be close to a monster with stock cam but should have a somewhat tame idol and street manners. Plus ridiculously easy to make whatever I want with a cam swap afterwards.

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Pretty sure dale bickham did similar but took heaps off the heads and had to cut valve reliefs into pistons. Think it performed okay. He detailed it on the old forum. Put engine in vk in the end and think was in the 10s? Sketchy on exact details but should be able to find it

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Pretty sure dale bickham did similar but took heaps off the heads and had to cut valve reliefs into pistons. Think it performed okay. He detailed it on the old forum. Put engine in vk in the end and think was in the 10s? Sketchy on exact details but should be able to find it

The 10 seconds motor had a big stick in it. His vz is the one your thinking of. It ran high 11’s

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.