HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralInterior & TrimLate model Dash & Cluster Ideas

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of benk benk 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

A discussion has sprung up about being able to use 3rd gen dash clusters in 2nd gens.  Thought I would start a seperate thread to keep IJ’s build thread cleaner.

So what interior conversions have people actually done, I also see its popular to put the Statesman dash into the VR/S what else is there?

This is IJ’s race car

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

[/quote]

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I personally think the VF HSV dash is the best of all, be pretty cool if it were possible to graft that complete dash into an earlier gen Commodore

sands vs
    Participant

That would be awesome, Id hate the think of the work involved thou

Profile photo of benk
    benk
    Participant

VY dash would be a nice touch, matches well with a VY indicator and wiper stalk haha

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

The problem is the way the dash is driven, to use a late model dash you would basically need to upgrade the PCM and associated bits and pieces because from VT onward the dash is driven by the PCM via the can-bus.  Also depending on the model the data/communications protocols change as well so it gets fairly technical.

The guy to speak to would be Tazzi as he’s right into dash upgrades.  He can be contacted on the PCMHacking forum or Just Commodores.  He’ll be able to give specifics of what is required for the various model dash’s.

sands vs
    Participant

In the case of a ls1 swap into a vs with motor/ loom/ trans would this be simpler then?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well of course if you have done an LS swap and are running the later ECU I would have thought that would make it a bit easier ;-)

sands vs
    Participant

The lsa motors now being standard in everything bar the base clubsport should see the price and availability drop id hope… be nice to add to my vs… can only dream lol

Profile photo of benk
    benk
    Participant

The problem is the way the dash is driven, to use a late model dash you would basically need to upgrade the PCM and associated bits and pieces because from VT onward the dash is driven by the PCM via the can-bus. Also depending on the model the data/communications protocols change as well so it gets fairly technical. The guy to speak to would be Tazzi as he’s right into dash upgrades. He can be contacted on the PCMHacking forum or Just Commodores. He’ll be able to give specifics of what is required for the various model dash’s.

In theory, for a V6 you can use an ecotec VY dash and the ecotec VY PCM everything should work as per the factory with the exception of VATs which youd need to turn off. Or ‘424 PCM with modified code for Class 1 dash data

For 5L you could use a LS1 pcm + PIM from a VY or the stock ‘424 PCM with modified code for the Class1 dash data

Note.

‘424 is a VR v6 PCM, VR/VS 5L PCM.

VY ecotec flash PCM is the same as a VX

VY Supercharged Memcal PCM is the same as VT Ecotec and VX-VY Supercharged PCM

Shouldn’t be too hard to get the electrical side going. Might give it a go on day one I finish all the other mods… :wacko:

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of benk benk.
    Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

The guys on the PCMhacking forum have custom code that will drive a later model dash with early model PCM however it only has limited functionality due to limits of the early model PCM’s.

From my limited understanding, from VT onwards the BCM is the bus master and the PCM is a slave so you would possibly require a functioning BCM to make it all work.

Profile photo of benk
    benk
    Participant

yes that’s a possibility with the BCM bus master. I haven’t read the specs on the custom code for a while but I believe all the trip computer stuff works.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.