HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngine Conversions & EngineeringK Frame swap without engine removal

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

The power steering rack in my VH seems to be on its last legs and is leaking a little. Rather than replace it with another VH rack I was thinking about changing the K Frame to a VN one along with a VN power steering rack, pump and lines. This is so I have the K Frame ready for a future engine conversion.

Can the K Frame be replaced without removing the engine?

I was thinking by using something like this

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^Gotta say never see that idea before.  I would have thought the sheet metal its sitting on there would be pretty flimsy and easily damaged on a Commie?

But using a portable crane to support the engine whilst you remove the K Frame I imagine would work.  But I guess you could also support under the the sump on blocks of wood, as long as you also took the weight of the car on stands?

Profile photo of [TUFFVQ]
    [TUFFVQ]
    Participant

Would definitely not support using the above method on a commodore – there is next to no structural capacity in that area.

Either use an engine crane (and be mindful of hydraulic bleed down) or use a solid packer on the ground.

Shouldn’t be too difficult in any case.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Yeah I dont think its strong enough could damage the car and ultimately be dangerous too.

Id suggest above mentioned method too

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

Always used crane as well. Just remember that the VN pump sits on the drivers side, right where your AC and Alternator are currently. If you are going VN heads with the engine upgrade then this will be no issue. It is alot easier to keep the alternator on the passenger side with VN heads as the VB-VL alternator bracket on VN heads causes the alternator to hit the first pipe.

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

Thanks guys.

I might just replace the power steering  rack for now and change everything over when I eventually do a 304/308 engine conversion.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Wow nice bit of gear but totally overkill for the job, I made a simple brace while I was building the subframe for the Lexcen..

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^nice work IJ, at least with your design its sitting on the tower that are designed to take the suspension loads.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.