HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore RidesJaba's new ride, 1970 Camaro

This topic contains 20 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Well this is my new weekend toy. I’ve always wanted something old school from the US. Played a very small part in the first FORGED magazine cover car CRISIS, a pro touring 69 Camaro and its been a massive inspiration ever since. Basically its a 502ci BBC Gen VI, built T400, Ford 9″.

Best it has run is 11.3 down the 1/4 but that was with the old motor and this one is making a bunch more power so it should be good for 10’s if I ever grow a pair and try to steer it down the plex :D

Its not perfect but it is a very tough street car, something I can improve on and modify without pissing off any purists and have at least some input into what the car is/will be.

Body is currently wrapped but is silver underneath and apparently quite tidy. Already been introduced to a bunch of great people over the past month or two so can’t wait to get a little more hands on.

Engine:

Rotating Assembly: Block is a gen VI zz502, 4.5 bore size and decked, steel forged crank, srp dome top pistons, scat h beam rods, moroso high volume blueprinted oil pump, milidon 8 qtrz oil pan, roller master timing chains,

Intake/Heads: Oval port heads, victor jnr oval port single plane manifold, Quick fuel QFR 1000cfm

Valvetrain: Comp cam solid roller custom grind, Comp cam Roller lifters Comp cam ultra pro magnum roller rockers, Comp cam springs, Trend pushrods

Trans: Built T400, 3000rpm stall.

Diff: Ford 9″, Moser axles, 3:7 gears, Harrop Truetrac.

Brakes: Wilwood 4 pot fronts, standard rear drum brakes, Wilwood booster.

Suspension: Standard front and rear, nolathane bushings, caltracs.

Current plans are to improve the suspension with a 4 Link rear + tubular front control arms, coilovers and C6 corvette spindles from Speed Tech, tidy up the interior and build some close out panels for the boot. And tidy up a few things that aren’t quite working 100%.

Big spending will come in due time though as i unfortunately lost my job days before picking up the car haha.

Anyway, enough talk, pics.

IMG_3231 by Jake Baldwin[/url], on Flickr

IMG_3232 by Jake Baldwin[/url], on Flickr

IMG_3233 by Jake Baldwin[/url], on Flickr

IMG_3243 by Jake Baldwin[/url], on Flickr

IMG_3248 by Jake Baldwin[/url], on Flickr

IMG_3244 by Jake Baldwin[/url], on Flickr

IMG_3239 by Jake Baldwin[/url], on Flickr

IMG_3238 by Jake Baldwin[/url], on Flickr

Is a bit filthy in pics, haven’t had time to give it a proper shoot or anything.

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Started filling out the boot with some false walls to tidy it up a bit.

All the panels will have these sunken panels, which will be covered in suede and vinyl.

Battery will eventually go behind one, and a small tool box will be mounted on the other side, the panels easily pull out and are held in with velcro.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That sir is outstanding!!!  Following this.  Any plans to convert the steering over or just going to leave it a left hooker?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Looks wickid man.

Not it a fan of the rims. It’s need some phat as Fark 15’s on the back to go with the American muscle theme.

Profile photo of Narva*2010
    Narva*2010
    Participant
    Supporter

Very very nice.  Split bar is an underrated model I reckon

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

Split bumper is one of my favorite cars and Jerry Johnsons Camaro off street outlaws is my favorite car on the show.

I hope I see some big ass fat tyres on the rear of this one. Either some welds or billet specialties wheels.

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

Love it……

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Everything is now trimmed, couple of edges I’m not ecstatic about but not bad for a first attempt.

I just need some foam to then finish covering the fuel filler nozzle with the vinyl. :)

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Very nice, whats it drive like?

Sorry to hear about job loss any new prospects?

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Top work buddy, looks great.

Profile photo of BTS666.0
    BTS666.0
    Participant

Sweet. Love these camaros.

...so I said "orange ya glad I didn't say banana?"........hahahaha.....hhhmmmm...pffft.....

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Hey guys long time no speak, this is all copy pasted from other forums so excuse me if some things don’t make sense. Happy to clarify anything if need be.

So much to a few peoples disappointment I’ve decided to ditch the BBC / T400. Whilst the Big block was a lot of fun ultimately it wasn’t really what I was looking for and so I’ve decided to make the swap to a more pro touring oriented build.

Inspiration…

The new setup will be an LS3 / TR6060, Brand new subframe with all the fruit, torque arm rear suspension, wilwood 6 / 4pot brakes and a 285 / 335 wheel and tyre combo along with a bunch of other little things to suit ( mini tubs, flat firewall, pedal box, new gauges, wiring loom etc )

The exterior will stay is for now, i plan to track this car at collie / barbs and hopefully RAC if it remains open so i wont go dumping thousands into body work only to end up in a sandtrap / wall testing the limits of the car.

Motor and box have been sold and are due to be picked up this weekend, so the car currently looks like this…

I’ve also stripped the interior out, started removing all the sound deadner and seam sealer from the floor to check for any rust.

Found one little patch so far in the rear D/S foot well which hopefully isnt too much worse than whats pictured.

The only other area that needs some attention is the very top corner on the P/S, the floor is attached to the sill panels which have been abused on this car, causing the floor to come away from the sill seam when it was bent by a jack, stand etc. So that will need a bit of massaging and welding.

Other than that the floors seem super solid and it has had a new boot floor put in at some stage so its all good.

Will attack it with a wire wheel to bring it all back to bare metal, undercoat, dynamat, underlay and then finally new carpet will go in.

Pretty excited to actually build a car, the way I want it with hopefully little paid work. My big shipment of parts will be ordered beginning of next week and surprisingly it was only an extra $200 to ship the whole crate by air compared to sea, so it will be here in December rather than March, hopefully Christmas comes early :D

My target is to have it back on the road in time for Racewars, not competing unfortunately but it will be a good drive to test how good the car is on long drives, id like to road trip across to the East coast in it one day.

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Motor is finally out and gone!

Also received my fuel system parts from Summit today.

Aeromotive phantom 340 in tank fuel system to suit the carby style ricks tank. And a corvette regulator / fuel filter combo with – 6 fittings on each end.

Super impressed with the quality and finish of the pump system and it is quite a nice unit. The kit includes pre filters, foam baffling to avoid fuel surge and is completely universal as long as your fuel tank is between 5.5″ – 11″ deep.

This particular single pump model is good for up to 850HP N/A or 700HP FI, which should be plenty for now, if not its quite simple to swap to the dual pump 1200HP units.

Plan is to run braided line from the pump to the regulator, and hardline the rest of the way to the fuel rail.

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Unfortunately ran into more rust with this thing after deciding to investigate what was hiding underneath these horrible patch panels.

I was hoping it was just rusted out where they had covered up, but unfortunately it goes a little deeper into the sill than that.

Yet to find out what behind this patch below the door hinge mounts but from feeling behind its the same story as the left hand side.

Fortunately you can get replacement panels for the outer skin, however I have not been able to find any replacements for the rest of the areas not covered by the panel below, all in all not too bad and will give me a chance to fabricate a few simple pieces to repair the rotted out areas without having to worry too much about it looking good as it will mostly never see daylight again.

In more exciting news I’ve purchased a motor and box. LS3 / TR6060 out of a VF2 SSV with 14,000k’s, close enough to new for me and at a very reasonable price. :)

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Christmas came early

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Current day I’m halfway through the rust repairs, and then I’ll be moving onto cutting out the firewall and sheeting it off with a nice bead rolled pattern to add a bit of strength and liven it up a little.

The ill be focusing on striping the entire inside down to bare metal, coating it, sound deadening and then hopefully my order from the states with all my suspension and driveline parts will be here and i can start putting it all together.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

That’s awesome bud a that sucks about the rust but I suppose you just don’t know with the old girls , at lest you can do the repairs yourself and do them properly

nice front and rear end drive line stuff

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

I’ve always loved the first Gen’s but that orange thing you posted looks damn good.

What didn’t you like about the BBC? It would have sounded so tough!

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

Big fan of this shape in a nice shade. Looks great ;)

Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Wow your not holding back, will be so nice when done!!!

munch munch ls1s for lunch
    Best 1/4 mile 13.1@105mph 60ft-1.8sec Reaction time .8 sec 0/100-4.8sec

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.