HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineInjector bosses lined up?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brad Brad 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

Just wondering how perfect the injector bosses have to line up on a single plane manifold. Mine seem to be out a little but I’m unsure as this is the first time I’ve used one of these manifolds. And no longer have a standard manifold to check with as I got rid of all the standard stuff. Any help would be appreciated

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

What manifold?

Do the bolt holes line up?

Anything been machined?

Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

Harrop single plane manifold, bolt holes line up and I had the manifold torqued down. Block has been decked to square manifold is brand new so are the heads. Also worried abit about the gap in the valley.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Yeah that’s a massive gap. I rekon it will have something to do with the come heads.

This was asked somewhere on the internet not long ago. Can’t bloody find where.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

It was most likely me, I’ve been stuck for the last 3 or so months. Its stopping me from making any progress and is quite frustrating really. I’m not the only one running come heads and Harrop manifold surely. I’ve had recommendations of making spacers up and die grinding the bosses to suit,  really don’t want to be doing that. Just seems odd bolt holes line up 🤔

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Those heads do look like a high port design causing the big gap. Maybe as COME about that.  I know YT supply a extra bar to fit in that gap with there high port heads.

Have you checked the injector boss alignment with intake gaskets fitted?

How do the intake ports look when you put a intake gasket on?

Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

I’ve had the manifold torqued down with gaskets, I can get spacers made thats not a problem. Biggest worry was with the bosses not quite lining up. But as I’ve said I’m not sure how perfectly they do need to line up

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

How much was shaved off the deck?

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

The injectors are supposed to aim down the port at the back of the valve, if (part of) the spray pattern is hitting on something then it will effect it.  Hard to see in the pic as it’s taken at an angle.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yep, as soon as any of the spray from the injector touches the side wall of anything it will turn back to liquid.  Liquid will not burn in the engine so it goes straight out the exhaust pipe.  I had this issue on mine when I initially used injectors with too wide spray cone.  You cant leave it like that.  You will lose power, economy and emissions will be up the duff, pretty much its no good for anything.  Seems odd though, def reckon a call to the boys at come is the first port of call…

Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

I’m honestly not sure how much was taken off, I was just told it was decked to square. Had a local engineering bloke have a look today and said to put longer bolts and see where they sit in the bolt holes. Then can sit if maching the manifold will help/fix the issue. Probably not a bad idea calling come and seeing what they recommend, as I did start off with a come single plane but changed to the Harrop recently

Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

So need to workout what gap will be ok between the valley and manifold. It’s roughly 7mm gap at the moment( I’ll measure it probably tomorrow). Thinking between 2-3mm gap will be fine? Or is that still to much?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.