HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineHigh KM LS Motors

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 9 years ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of wicksy
    wicksy
    Participant

Hey all,this is probarly in the wrong section, but i am sure it’ll get moved if it is.

Now i currently have a VF SS Wagon on Lease at the moment, its our only car at the moment and we use it alot, we tow a moto-x trailer with it and do alot of trips in it.

I am looking at buying myself a Holden ute, i have been looking at Crewmans as we have 2 boys aged 4 and 6, i mainly want it for putting bikes in the back, the dog, tip runs and crap like that, but the only decent ones in my price range seem to have high KM on them. How much is too much before shit gets expensive to replace on the motors, if i have to bump my budget up i guess i will have too or even look interstate as i am in QLD, i would fly down to NSW to pick one up that would be no drama for me. What i should i look out for when i do inspect one aswell.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Sold my Adventra with 245K Km’s on it in December, it’s still running perfectly, service history and type of KM’s makes a difference, bare minimum get a Comp test done.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

hey mate, moved it to the engine section for ya, seemed to be the best fit :yes:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

250k piece of piss. So long as they are serviced regularly.

Mine had 150k when I tore it down. It was still in premo condition.

Profile photo of wicksy
    wicksy
    Participant

hey mate, moved it to the engine section for ya, seemed to be the best fit

You go aright i reckon.

Cheers, i found this crewman for sale, but i am a noob at this kinda crap haha, once i get a chance i will make some calls to a mate who owns a caryard and he might be able to help me out, but thats awesome, i just wasnt sure, its good that the motors are still good at that many kays, and they are cheap to buy these days aswell

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Crewman-2004/SSE-AD-2638631/?Cr=3

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Shit that looks like a lot of car for the money!  I’m looking for a ute later in the year to toe the kart trailer, you have me thinking too  :good:

Profile photo of wicksy
    wicksy
    Participant

I was going to look at a basic SS ute, but the crewman is more practical for us, not getting a povpack one has to be a SS haha

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Shit that looks like a lot of car for the money! I’m looking for a ute later in the year to toe the kart trailer, you have me thinking too

Yeah I didn’t know I wanted one until I looked at the prices… Cross 8 Crewman starts at $8500 get one with around 100k km on clock for $15k…

AWD crew cab LS1, what gives, is there some major issue with them?

Naturally as-pirated, all-motor.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Only thing  have heard is that the transfer case/gearbox aren’t the toughest around, but if you dont want it for drags prob not an issue?

Profile photo of muckrunner30
    muckrunner30
    Participant

I’ll be lucky to get 15k for mine when I sell it, vs ssz crewman, leather, lid, 330mm hsv brakes, hsv binnacles, otr, extractors, cats, custom twin 2.5s, lowered, stock rims and staggered 20s, prolly spent 60k on it!!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Dont rate the Crewmen. rear tray is short as fuck. You will be hard pressed to fit a full sized bike In it. The rear seat is a joke also. U need a massage after a 3 minute 7/11 stint in it.

You ou would be much better  off looking into a dual cab 4×4 of some sort.

Profile photo of

Only thing have heard is that the transfer case/gearbox aren’t the toughest around, but if you dont want it for drags prob not an issue?

Put 400+ AWKW through mine with 0 sign of failure..

Transfer case is fine (excluding it’s an open diff so utterly useless once you up the power) Trans have a few inherent weak points..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^that’s good to know.  Later this year I need to start looking for a cheapish ute/tow car.  Might pick you guys brains when the time comes…

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Btw, a question I have pondered before, anyone know if its feasible to adapt the transfer case off one of these to another box, say a T56 manual, or maybe T400 auto?

Profile photo of wicksy
    wicksy
    Participant

Dont rate the Crewmen. rear tray is short as fuck. You will be hard pressed to fit a full sized bike In it. The rear seat is a joke also. U need a massage after a 3 minute 7/11 stint in it. You ou would be much better off looking into a dual cab 4×4 of some sort.

My oldest son is just starting so he only has a KTM 50sx, it has only gotta last another 4 years then the lease is up on the wagon and i hope by then my company will allow me to lease a decent dual cab

Profile photo of

Btw, a question I have pondered before, anyone know if its feasible to adapt the transfer case off one of these to another box, say a T56 manual, or maybe T400 auto?

yeah it can be done, for a T56 you use a Vette tailhousing and make an adaptor as there’s nothing off the shelf.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

yeah it can be done, for a T56 you use a Vette tailhousing and make an adaptor as there’s nothing off the shelf.

Now that would make an interesting car….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.