HomeForumsGeneralNew MembersHi from Sydney.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of exec24 exec24 6 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Callan
    Callan
    Participant

Hi everyone!

just registered as a member. Haven’t got a commodore at the moment.. me and my father have been looking around for the right VS SS Series III ute. (They can be hard to find in great condition) I have also been considering buying one with a straight body but high kms, so We can spend the extra $$$$ on a rebuild and mods.

Has anyone done a rebuild on the 5.0L? What is the rough price guide for a good rebuild, including supply of parts and installation?

There are some great VS SS builds on here which have already given us plenty of ideas :)

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi and welcome

VS Series 3 SS utes where very limited build, 300 of them in total by memory which only came out in 1998 and 1999, engine price all depends on your budget mainly, and your intentions for the engine/car, and if you intend to do the work yourself?

if you click the link thats my under my username (to the left) you will go to my VS v8 thread, that might give you’s some idea

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of Callan
    Callan
    Participant

Thanks mate! Yeah 300 were built.. so not too sure how many are left now and the start of the SS brand, they will be iconic!

We really want the car to be as original as possible with a nice cam.. we can pull the engine out of the car and install but opening and rebuilding it will need to be done by a third party.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi mate welcome to the forum.  Learn something all the time, I didn’t know a VS SS ute was made, would be a great score.  When you do be sure and throw up a build thread for it.  As above costs of a rebuild totally depends on what you want at the end.  A light freshen up and cam change would be relatively cheap, but these things can get out of hand if you start chasing horsepower!!

Profile photo of Callan
    Callan
    Participant

Yeah loved the shape! Had a chance to buy one years ago for 5k. Now absolutely gutted we didn’t..

first of the SS Utes!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Just gotta keep your eyes peels.

For a 3rd party to do rings and bearings and slide in a small cam expect to pay around 3-4500 drive in/drive out

ive got a 180km 304 at home with a small cam in it which I’ll be looking to part ways with.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Profile photo of Callan
    Callan
    Participant

Certainly on the lookout! If anyone knows of someone willing to sell or one for sale let me know!

I have my eyes on one but it is a bit rough around the edges. If I can snag it for the right price a fresh paint job is the go 👍🏻

Will certainly make a build thread once I find one.

Profile photo of Callan
    Callan
    Participant

ATTENTION: VS SS ute owners!

I have found one that is up for sale! Now I have a question.. do the SS III Utes have a build number plate on them? I have asked the guy for one but he cannot supply it.

not sure if it is just for the Maloos or ss aswell.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

get me the complete VIN number (PM me if you like) i’ll try and look it up, wont have a special build plate unless it was HSV enhanced, and any car can be optioned with this though and it doesn’t necessarily mean its engine enhancements

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Thought that’s for hsv/brocks etc

There is one up on ebay but those prices better off waiting for Series 3 vs maloo or super clean vs ss ute

I nearly got one with 355/th350 & group a manifold simmons etc with 40k on clock for 16-18k a few years back but felt I’d only be stripping too nice car.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

this one poped up on gumtree while i was looking for stuff, if you dont mind traveling interstate.

all seems to be ok, a looks like a genuine VS SS ute, right colour/year etc

like i said above get me a full VIN number and i’ll check the option codes that come up

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/redlynch/cars-vans-utes/vs-ss-v8-ute-limited-edition-low-klms/1145842080?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=LF-cars

• This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.