HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineGrrr,stripped bolts holding my car down

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VHSLE CRUISER VHSLE CRUISER 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VHSLE CRUISER
    VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

Hi, grr, took my holley carby off my edelbrock intake manifold for a clean.

Put the carby back on…first fire up once it goes fine…its was idling but i could hear a ringing type noise from the engine bay…im thinking this may be a vacuum leak as both the rear bolts holding the carby down are loose/stripped…my big mistake :facepalm:

I have checked that all my hoses are connected/bungs connected back up to the carby so its the only thing I can put it down to ???

I know a fix would be re-thread the stripped threads but im more keen on intake manifold studs..that way its only nuts im tightening and not bolts…less chance of stripping :wave-bye:

Does my intake manifold need to come off (can it stay on the engine) if i install studs or ?

Does it seem like this is the cause of the noise, whereas prior to the carby coming off, there was no noise ?

What is my quickest fix solution just as a work around until I get stud put on ? (as ringing/whistle noise is too loud for the street/would attract attention)

Cheers, VHSLECRUISER

VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

Just started up the car again and the idle this time is erratic, up and down (all over the place)…yep definately a vacuum leak and I bet the rear carby bolts are culprit !!!

Cheers, VHSLECRUISER

Profile photo of Stevoss
    Stevoss
    Participant

tap and helicoil the hole with the manifold on but jam rags down into the manifold to stop swarf entering. if the holes open into the manifold, i would pull it off to do.

fit studs- done

VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

Would loctite be fine as a workaround just for the interim ?

Cheers, VHSLECRUISER

Profile photo of Stevoss
    Stevoss
    Participant

if the bolts are already loose in the hole i would think only a layer of sealant on the gaskets to try and fill the gap. loctite will only stop it working loose by itself

VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

Just tested all the bolts screwing down onto intake manifold and the rear bolts holes are not drilled down as much as the front ones ehiches explains why the rear carby is loose,strange surprised it only reared its ugly head now,time for some longer bolts for the rear but might still go studs for ease of lining up both gaskets, a base plate plus the carby.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.