HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralDrivelineGMH T5 Speedo Drive & Driven Gears ?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of OZ38 OZ38 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

I am currently rebuilding a T5 from a V6 Commodore to have all new gear ratios (same as V8). So far so good.

I am stuck a little on the speedo drive & driven gears. Currently the rear axle ratio is the stock 3.08 & I want the option to change to 3.45/3.55 rear axle ratio after the new T5 has been in service.

At the moment the Drive Gear on the main output shaft is a 8 tooth. The Driven gear of the speedo adapter drive is 20 tooth or teeth. This suits the current 3.08 rear ratio.

The 8 tooth drive gear seems to be the common size fitted to Australian GMH & Ford T5 transmissions.

A calculator on 5 Speeds.com tells me I will need a 22 tooth/teeth driven gear to have my speedo close to correct once the 3.45/3.55 rear gears are installed.

This currently is my issue….I can’t find such an option.

I thought I had it covered when I bought all my parts from the states for the T5, as I bought a 7 tooth drive gear & a 18 tooth driven gear. Which went fitted would suit the current 3.08 rear axle ratio. Then later I could fit my 20 tooth driven gear which would suit the 3.45/3.55 rear gears.

Well it was all good it theory until I found out the American T5 parts sellers speedo gears run opposite hand to our Australian Speedo gears.

So for future reference to anyone else considering this, don’t waste you money on the American speedo gears.

Apart from American gear profiles being cut the opposite hand, the drive gear is also smaller in diameter. So even if fitted with our extension housing the gears would not mesh properly I think ( as well the speedo drive would spin backwards).

Some pics. The yellow gears are the American speedo drives, the brown large 8 tooth gear is Australian GMH/Ford, the small brown 20 tooth gear is Australian GMH/Ford, the small faded pink 19 tooth is Australian Ford & can be used in the GMH set up.

What I now need is a 22 tooth driven gear to suit Australian Ford/GMH T5’s. So far I don’t see anything available as yet.

Cheers

Deek

edit: sorry doubled up on first pic & can’t seem to be able to remove it.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of OZ38 OZ38.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

More pics.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

More pics – how I hate PussBucket right now grrrr..

Attachments:
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Just buy. VDO corrector kit and save he hassle of trying to find the right gear.

Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

Just buy. VDO corrector kit and save he hassle of trying to find the right gear.

Yeah suppose I could do it that way. But I am better with mechanical fixes than electrical anyday lol.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.