This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter
    Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Interesting article, I wonder if that flow loss is based on a straight pipe/line only or includes the extra losses seen when you start adding in many 90° bends and/or fuel line types?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

1x 90 = 10ft of straight the same diameter pressure drop wise.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Interesting article, I wonder if that flow loss is based on a straight pipe/line only or includes the extra losses seen when you start adding in many 90° bends and/or fuel line types?

When did my mechanical engineering diploma we did a term on fluid losses etc, I know its not totally equivalent to fuel lines but certainly then you had factors as bends etc had a significant effect.  Maybe given the pressure and flow of the fuel it may even be worse.

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

I wonder how the location of a regulator affects fuel rail pressure. I’m mounting mine near my tank and running a single line to the rail, so the line between the intank pump and regulator will be short, but could there be a pressure issue at the rail if the regulator is sensing say 58psi, but the actual pressure at the rail/injector has dropped enough to impact injector flow? I’d say the line from the regulator to the rail would be around 8ft with a couple of bends

Immortality
    Participant

I’m not a fan of the return-less fuel system.  I’d much prefer the regulator at the fuel rail so that the fuel pressure is controlled where it is most critical.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I’m not a fan of the return-less fuel system. I’d much prefer the regulator at the fuel rail so that the fuel pressure is controlled where it is most critical.

110% this, this is what Jack at Earls who imo is a walking encyclopedia on fuel systems told me.  You want the regulator right up at the injector end so as the demand rises rapidly (especially if its boosted) it can respond quickly. The other negative of a dead end system which is especially true for a streeter is that whilst running  at light loads the fuel is sitting in the rails heating up, with a full return system regardless of what demand is, the fuel is constantly circulating back to the tank keeping it cool.  That’s not so important for a race car, as at wot there is actually not a lot of fuel returning to the tank as its being used in the engine.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Dead head works fine otherwise just about every modern Commodore built in the last 20 years would be having issues, only place I can see much of a difference is if you run a boost referenced regulator there is a delay in the signal if you have the reg at the tank, only really noticeable if you’re logging the AFR during transitions.

Have ran it both ways and not seen a problem.

This is all dependant on a correctly functioning fuel system of course with clean filters and a pump capable of maintaining pressure/flow as required.

As for heating the fuel my old Supra ran a return system with a pair of 044 pumps after an hour of cruising it would heat the fuel tank to where it was uncomfortable to touch with a bare hand, this is why I ran fuel pump controllers to drop the pump speed for cruise and idle.

Hope this helps.

Immortality
    Participant

Dead head is harder on the pump because at idle there is almost no flow and then when you suddenly nail the throttle it has to get that whole column of fuel moving that is currently sitting still in the fuel line.  Probably not so bad on a road car but when you get into high HP drag cars that can pull substantial G loads when getting out of the hole can put even more strain on that poor old pump.

No doubt both system work but my preference is return style.

VRSenator065 knows all about knows all about vapour lock from boiling fuel :facepalm:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

VRSenator065 knows all about knows all about vapour lock from boiling fuel

Sad but true.

Wouldn’t almost all race cars run full return?  But totally agree like most things any system designed right will work.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Dead head has the regulator at the pump with a self bleed, so it’s not like it’s over loaded at low fuel demand scenarios.

It’s basically a return setup with the regulator at the tank.

Immortality
    Participant

Yep but it still has to get that column of fuel moving when the pressure drops at the engine and that creates a delay more so than having the regulator at the fuel rail.  I’m not saying it doesn’t work just that IMHO it’s not the best setup but certainly is cheaper for OEM with having to only run one one line up the length of the chassis.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.