HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineFlat tappet cam into roller cam motor

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jay... Jay… 8 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jay...
    Jay…
    Participant

Forgive me if this has been answered guys but I did a search and couldn’t find a definitive answer so here goes…

I have a vt ss roller cam block, picked it up and it only has: crank, rods, pistons and sump… I have a vn ss motor with a cracked block, I’m wondering if I can put my cam and all associated parts onto the roller motor.
    I have: flat tappet 286 cam and machined lifters, rods, ported heads, valves springs, valves guides, 1.65 roller rockers all of which I want to transfer to the roller block. From what I’ve read I need to change the oil pump gear back to a cast gear or it will chew the cam, also… I’m reasonably sure my vn ss motor has 10 head bolts per side where the roller motor has 12…

So basically asking 2 questions here.
    1. Will my cam gear fit?
    2. Will my heads fit or do I transfer my springs and rocker stud to the vt ss heads?

Cheers guys (sorry about the novel)

Jay…

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Will it fit yes, the major difference on the VT roller blocks were the raised lifter bores and some extra webbing.

Is that cam new or used?

Head bolts should be the same, fairly sure 308 had the 12 bolts but the 2 extra bolts were dropped in the late 80’s definitely not used in the 304 injected engines.

Profile photo of Jay...
    Jay…
    Participant

Yeah the whole kit was only ran in my car for about 2000kms, so having raised lifter bores “shouldn’t” affect it?

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Lifter bores are only taller (as far as I know) to suit the roller lifters.

What I’m not sure about is transferring a used flat tappet cam and lifters from one block to another as no 2 blocks are identical so the cam lobe to lifter position may be a bit different and I’m not sure how that will work from a wear perspective.

Others may have wiser words here.

Profile photo of Jay...
    Jay…
    Participant

Yeah that’s cool, cheers mate… I’ll check it all out as it goes together, thanks heaps for that

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.