HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineEngine Start-Up Tips

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Hey guys, I’m after suggestions on what to do prior and during the first start of an engine after a conversion or rebuild, basically a how-to guide or check list to follow when starting an engine that has been sitting around for a while or that has just been rebuilt and hasn’t run. In my case, i have an LS3 with 39,000kms on it that hasnt run in almost two years. It has been drained of oil the whole time and i have been turning it over by hand periodically, and it turn’s easily and smoothly. I know it’ll need a new oil filter, oil, the trans will need fluid, coolant. Does the oil pump need to be primed? Will i need to bleed air from anywhere, such as the radiator, engine or trans? Do i start it and let it run for 10 or 20 seconds then shut it down and check it for leaks? I’ve been told with the trans, i have to half fill it, start it up and then add the other half straight away so it can circulate through the converter and box.

I’ll have to take it to a workshop to be tuned and checked over, but I’d love to be able to at least start it at home first, that’d be the next best thing compared to the first drive.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I’d pull the plugs, squirt some oil into each bore, fresh Oil and filter then pull the Injector and Ignition fuses and crank it till you see oil pressure, replace plugs and fuses and start it up, do the usual leak checks and it should be good to go, I’ve had engines sit much longer than that without issue.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Pretty much what Ian said in regards to the engine. Unless it PISSES out oil. I wouldn’t even bother shutting it down.

Get oil pressure up and then let it idle long enough so the t/state opens. Have heater on whilst doing so, so it helps with bleeding the air system.

Trans is more important. Don’t run it dry of it will cause you issues. Speak to Paul Rodgers (he built it yeah?) and just follow his guide lines.

The engine will smoke up whilst doing this, as you will have no doubt got oil and what not over the headers. Don’t stress about this……

Unless there is a fire ball. Then stress.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks guys. Yeah Cava, Paul built the box, what i mentioned is what he told me. He said jack the rear up and run it through all gears once i’ve got fluid in it to make sure all gears are engaging properly, and just keep adding fluid until the dipstick reads full.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Anyone know if it’s worth flushing out the cooling system before or during the start up? I have a new radiator going in but obviously the motor has been sitting for a while without any coolant, would there be any rust build up in the block that I should try to get rid of before it circulates through everything? I have no idea if there are corrosion problems with alloy blocks… or just stick a hose up it’s clacker to give it a flush out before I put the coolant in

Profile photo of

Iron or Aluminium block?

Heron SSV
    Participant

Alloy block, LS3

Profile photo of

Just give it a rinse out with the hose. Sorry missed the alloy block part in your post.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Give it an enema. I generally do 1000km prior to using coolant.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks lads. I’ll give it a hose out and use water while I’m getting it up and running, once it’s running properly I’ll swap it out for coolant. The inlet, outlet and heater pipes have been taped up so it shouldn’t be too bad inside.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.