HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralBody & PaintEngine bay – How to go about it

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KAL SPL KAL SPL 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wogan01
    Wogan01
    Participant

Hi everyone,

am currently undertaking an EFI 5L conversion with my VB and decided to give the bay some extra special attention. Both the engine and box are out, master cylinder and brake booster are off, a couple of un-necessary brackets have been deleted too.

I am taking the bay back to bare metal as it definitely needs it. Should I take it back to bare with say, 80 grit? Then hand sand with a higher grit (Possibly 240?), then etch primer, and sand again, then top coat?? I am thinking a gloss black bay, will I need to hit it with clear after?

I have pretty much no panel/paint experience but very eager to get stuck into it. Let me know how you would go about it.  :good:

~~R.I.P VT SS S1 9C1 ~~
    ...:::::VB 253 SL on the road to being a street cruiser:::::...

Profile photo of Wogan01
    Wogan01
    Participant

Anyone feel free to add your input as I really have no clue where to start and would like to hear it from someone with a bit of experience.

~~R.I.P VT SS S1 9C1 ~~
    ...:::::VB 253 SL on the road to being a street cruiser:::::...

Profile photo of KAL SPL
    KAL SPL
    Participant

Paint stripper would be the best and easiest option , then wire wheel what ever is left , etch prime then high fill and sand back to a 400 finish then paint.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.