HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineEcotec low mount turbo

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of klampykixx
    klampykixx
    Participant

Hi forum, just doing some googling around low mount turbo setup, like what you would typically see on a porsche where the turbo is at or below sump level, and found something called an oil accumulator drip tank.

could you please learn me on how they work and not just clog up the turbo’s bearings with oil?? is there a pump im not seeing that draws the oil away??

reason for my Q is regarding the future v6 turbo project to slot into my van. i want to have it low mounted as there wont be room in the normal position next to the motor, nor in front of it, using stock headers to maintain the EGR and attaching it via a custom steam pipe Y-pipe.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Has to be a pump in there, the tank acts as a header to allow the foamy oil to return to a liquid state so the pump can pick it up,  -10 hose and a TurboWerx scavenge pump works without the danger of tearing it off on anything..

klampykixx
    Participant

ok, thanks for that quick reply :)

im still trying to sort out whether or not im even going to have the budget to do the conversion, let alone the turbocharging….  work has changed, right as i was preparing to start saving and then took my sundays off me which is my main income…. yay me….

klampykixx
    Participant

so basically ill have to make up some sort of container to sit under the turbo and then feed that to an external oil pump.  would it be worth using that pump to push through a filter at all before it goes back to the engine? i saw comments regarding ash/burt oil particles causing issues if reintroduced after the spin on filter.

mostly asking as i like to be informed before i make choices, some better than others lol….

Profile photo of

All depends on what Pump you use to scavenge it, some like the VDO type pumps don’t cope too well with the froth so I can’t see the need for the header, the Turbo Werx I mentioned is fine and can be ran without the header but is expensive!

As long as you use a decent modern Oil coking is a non issue so you just return the Oil to the engine at the easiest point, usually into the Oil fill Cap where it will run back into the sump as a liquid then back into the filter.

klampykixx
    Participant

regarding oil, im contemplating a 15w40 diesel oil like penrite in the emotec seeing as it has the extra detergent additives and higher temp ratings than normal oil.
    is that a bad idea or be ok?

Profile photo of

regarding oil, im contemplating a 15w40 diesel oil like penrite in the emotec seeing as it has the extra detergent additives and higher temp ratings than normal oil. is that a bad idea or be ok?

Dunno never used it, I’ve been using Penrite full synthetic with really good results for quite a few years now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.