HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralDrivelinediff coil overs on 1st gen what are you running

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gtrboyy gtrboyy 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey Guys & Gals

just doing research before I get to the diff and tubing , has any one done the coil overs on a 1st gen with mini tubs if so what kind ,length, spring etc, I have seen QA1 also if some has a thread of this done I did have one saved from s/c but that’s gone ,

Cheers Frazer

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Got atco/afco on torana & qa1 on vh sle..spherical bearings are a bitch on torrie with low profile 18’s.

Tbh,next car build(vk commo) wont have coilovers…will split inner tub then moved over 1-1 1/2 inch to chassis rail top shock absorber mount also.Move bottom shock mount over.

Lower control arm will be tubular with spring mount..that way can still use factory springs/shocks

Still have to chop panhard bracket for tyre clearance & either angle bracket to clear rear 9 housing or get custom panhard rod

Can fit 20×10 with 275 tyre or 15×8 255/60(27″) or just scrape 275/60(28″)

Pro’s- still looks factory underneath,exhaust over diff.less custom parts & even keep factory tank.

With coilovers usually means exhaust under diff,fuel cell & more custom parts,welding & more fine tuning more money for the sonbeech

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Backyarder way is cut or dent in outer shock cover then sledghammer 2 sections of inner wheel tub where tyre rubs..front part near seat is harder.Lip the wheel arches.

Cut lip off lower arm & reinforce it…also trim down seat belt bolt

Fit narrowed diff,fit bigger wheels usually simmons.

Lots of vl commo’s done that way

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

When u start moving shock mounting points you start running into engineering issues.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Thanks Gtrboyy is the cost the reason you wouldn’t go coil overs again or is it a bitch to set up.

I am getting drop tank and filler will be at the back behind the number plate with the number plate hinge of a torana  so twin pipes one either side of tank

Hey cava in NZ we just need to get it certified and someone that has a welding ticket to sign the work off I have an engineer mate who build of road 4 wheel drives so he know how to work out the geometry

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Mainly the amount of customising plus extra crap modding & finetuning of things.

Yeah it’s a bitch to setup properly if you’re picky do-it-yourslfer like me that will drive car you’d expect way more for the coin.

Tubbed vh sle has that freak out factor,deep dish rims,coilovers,tubular arms,chopped seat all that jazz people toss over…

Lots of good gear under it but everytime I drove it or got under it wanted to change shit previous owners.

Minitubbed Vk is heaps neater,cost heaps less…looks close to factory except wheel size & most people cant pick it’s been done.

Same result can fit big tyres,just requires more labour than cash & most factory parts. except adjustable top arms & chopped lowers.

Shock absorber mounting points same just moved inch or so inwards to chassis rail.

White vl on here recently is a good example…depends on what rims/tyre setup,drag radials need more sidewall clearance if want 15 but larger larger diameter/low profile tyres fit easier.

Prefer neater factory opened up tubs of my unfinished vk compared big arse lairy tubbed vh sle…must be a sickness 3 tubbed cars collecting dust.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Any photos of them and the work.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Thanks Gtrboyy is the cost the reason you wouldn’t go coil overs again or is it a bitch to set up. I am getting drop tank and filler will be at the back behind the number plate with the number plate hinge of a torana so twin pipes one either side of tank Hey cava in NZ we just need to get it certified and someone that has a welding ticket to sign the work off I have an engineer mate who build of road 4 wheel drives so he know how to work out the geometry

Have you discussed this with an actual LVVTA certifier?

Yes it can be done but the original factory shock mount was never designed to handle the full weight of the car so some reinforcement will be required.  Your best bet is to discuss with your local LVVTA certifier before doing any work as they will be able to tell you what is required so you don’t end up doing things twice.  Off road vehicles are different and not necessarily built to the same rules/regulations as road registered vehicles.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

As cava said any picture ,

hey immort… yes have done that prat of the homework and I have to put certain strengthen parts in where coilovers would mount too as you said could not use the existing as not designed for it

Hey Gtrboyy just thinking if you just move the shock mount over when doing mini tubs to keep the shock mount  how  dose the spring sit on the custom bottom tubular arms ?, but if there is a way of doing that and being able to still adjust ride height on spring , then I can run a watts linkage ,,also  I am going to run a 18″ wheel with maybe a 255-265 anything too wide and it won’t corner nicely , it will see the drag strip that I have 16″ by 9″ with M/t that with mini tub will fit under guards

thoughts

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Much easier!!!

If you’re only going say 18×9 or 10 rim with 255-265 tyre majority of those mods wont be required..correct length diff with right offset will be essential part.

Some cars just a narrowed diff is main mod.

Bare minimum lip wheel arches,adjustable panhard & top contol arms,bit of dolly work inside wheel tub.

Then see what clearance is to lower control arm…cut outer lip & reinforce if it touches or replace.Check out lowe fabrication lower arms for image.

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Never took pics cars we done you wouldnt notice unless on hoist by missing or dented top shock cover & 2 dents mark in wheel tub (backyarder mod)

Copied those off maatouk cars & others at wsid drags.

VMENTL is best example & basically did similar to way Dimi did his without sledgehammer haha

Other car got sold unfinished only tell tale was lower shock mounts moved over & squarer looking passenger wheeltub

wpn383 is great example to google.

There’s also blue sle 18×9 255 tyre I think on here no mods. sle881 ????

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of gtrboyy gtrboyy.
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

cheers will do a look around

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi Gtrboyy  I have looked and made measurements and I am going to do what you have suggested with just moving the tub over enough for the shock to be closer to chassis so 1 1/2 – 2″ so cheers for the info

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Sweet!!!

Kind of cheating on my ghetto vk…rusty bootfloor already cut out so just need to scallop tub just after shocker mount then dolly inner tub it to chassis rail should still fool people.

Probably try to jam ve 20×9.5 wheel in there with vl diff *fingers crossed*

Look forward to seeing yours done & hopefully restart mine mid-year.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.