HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralDrivelinespeedo Cable X box

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi all has any one used one of the cable x box I have one got it last week hooked it up and worked out the calc and switches but no luck getting it right yet

• This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer. Reason: added to title
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey Guys & Gals just an up date on this box for the speedo ,, well not impressed  first I could not mount were I wanted it in side the cabin mate and I worked out the speedo cable had to be straight as possible other wise it would bounce a lot so had to put it on the drivers front inner guard , now to calibrate the speedo had to go though a process diff ratio mpr and gear box pulse so got that set the switches but was 20kms out so just changed switches higher until it was kind of right still out but by 5kms and still had hesitations now maybe my dash speedo could of been out in the first place to late to tell now car is sold ,,, so from all that I will not be getting another one for the vh and 6060 mg9 box I will got down the conversion side with malwood so changes the rear housing to a gear driven speedo slip yoke and a direct mount shifter

second pic down

Holden

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

I’ve been thinking of fitting vn speedo into vk cluster/speedo face then use either adjustable potentiometer from jaycar or another adjustable speedo corrector like what I got off pcmhacking that allows for the different signals & high/low increment adjustments for speedo.

Some cool threads about how to do it..save a ton of coin doing it yourself although will test your patience to max.

**Must admit cheated with temporary solution of jaycar gps speedo plugged into lighter(mofo recently died)

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

I have a similar issue, my conversion kit came with a dakota digital speed sensor to the ECU has the vehicle speed but that means I cant connect the speedo cable. Spoke to CAE about it and they said I’d need to buy the x box for about 600 bucks. Been thinking about getting one of the Racepak IQ3 street dash setups instead to replace the factory dash, they look all fancy and shit lol

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

I’d rather go simple cable with th400 box or atleast those adaptors that allow you to connect cable & speedo sensor.

Can also go cheaper method of buying obd2 display screen off ebay although jaycar gps speedo I had barely lasted a year & had to turn it on/off from switch

Heron SSV
    Participant

Frazer – dont you need an electronic speed sensor on the gearbox so the ECU has a vehicle speed input? That’s what I’ve been told, and also why I need either a digital speedo or one of the x box.

Does anyone know if the ECU needs the vehicle speed? would be a lot easier if I could just run with the normal cable setup.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Frazer – dont you need an electronic speed sensor on the gearbox so the ECU has a vehicle speed input? That’s what I’ve been told, and also why I need either a digital speedo or one of the x box. Does anyone know if the ECU needs the vehicle speed? would be a lot easier if I could just run with the normal cable setup.

I had the set up on a 308 so no ecu but the vk had 304 and needed the speed signal so it knew when your slowing down not sure if this changes with the ls ecu ,,, but you can get a device that screw to gearbox has two wires for ecu in centre then screw speedo cable I did have this for my t5 worked well but then went to t56 and autometer speedo and  you could calibrate the speedo , I think the rod shop did the device but was back in 2001 ,, all depends if you want to keep original dash , one thing I did not mention about the xbox was it seemed the motor was very weak so when you curve the cable the motor had very low torque

the x box is for electric speed sensor (gear box ) to cable driven speedo

you have th400 (I Think) so it’s mechanical and speedo is mechanical

so you just need a device between the gearbox and speedo cable that will send signal to ecu,,, I sold the one I had last year

so just on the speedo side from vn they went to electronic speedo

this is what I mean but not the one I had it gives you an idea

http://www.nookandtranny.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SEN-FBPVSS-2K&Category_Code=SENVSS

hope that helps

Heron SSV
    Participant

Just to add to this thread, I’m looking at this for mine, it’s the speed sensor with a connection on the end to connect a speedo cable to:

https://www.kam.com.au/pass-through-pulse-generator.html?category_id=218

Im hoping it lets me use the factory speedo. Spoke to CAE and the basically just said I’d need their cable x box or they can modify my dash and replace the mechanical speedo parts with an electrical setup. Still looks the same but won’t need the cable. Not overly impressed with their response though

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Just to add to this thread, I’m looking at this for mine, it’s the speed sensor with a connection on the end to connect a speedo cable to: https://www.kam.com.au/pass-through-pulse-generator.html?category_id=218 Im hoping it lets me use the factory speedo. Spoke to CAE and the basically just said I’d need their cable x box or they can modify my dash and replace the mechanical speedo parts with an electrical setup. Still looks the same but won’t need the cable. Not overly impressed with their response though

Hey Heron if I had to this again I would convert factory speedo to electronic just not sure if it can be calibrated ,the x box is a pain in the ass as I wrote previously

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

just make sure the pulse is right for gear box the article says 8000 ppm

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.