This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of rev rev 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Claude79
    Claude79
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m getting very bored and need a new project, but it had to be affordable, single income supporting the family makes things tight, but a blokes gotta have a toy! I love the handling of BMW’s, but hate the expense of the under performing motors and the expense that often is associated with them. So after doing a lot of research I’m going down the path of an E36 V6 conversion.

I can hear the why don’t you do an LS1 instead of a crappy V6, simple answer is money!!! I’ve given myself a budget of 5k for complete conversion, including car and have just sourced a black E36 for $800.00, so $4200 left!

I also figure the little Bimmer engine makes about 80KW at the FW so if I can tickle the V6 a little or get an L67 hopefully we can get it to 180KW.

After speaking with a few engineers last week the whole process seems very straight forward here in SA and there is almost nothing to be done to the E36, especially when putting a V6 in there. My father is a retired mechanic so we will be fabricating the engine and tranny mounts as well as the exhaust in house and also managing the loom conversion.

If I can do this successfully my plans are to do the LS1 conversion into a E39 for which I think the V8 will be more suited to.

Will post some pics up when it arrives and try to detail the process as best as I can so people can reference it in the future.

Profile photo of benk
    benk
    Participant

Seen a Ecotec e30 getting around eastern creek, pretty good combo. l67 would be great tho

Profile photo of Claude2012
    Claude2012
    Participant

Bonus, have been donated a VT motor, trans and loom from a relative! That saves a few dollars, now whether to invest that in manufactured mounts for engine and trans or elsewhere?

"If your going through hell, keep going!"

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Spend the $$$ elsewhere, mounts aren’t rocket science even though you’d think they were from the prices people charge/pay…

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^I agree with  IJ if its not going to be a 1000hp monster, just use either the Beemer or Holden mounts, and fabricate adapters to mate them to the engine or car.  Good thing about that too is if you chew them out, they are just regular mounts to replace.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

http://l67torque.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=13605

https://m.facebook.com/ecotecE30/

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Claude2012
    Participant

Found out yesterday the engine and tranny mounts dont need to be engineered, as in I can definitely make them myself. Main thing is that the tranny mounts utilise existing holes in the body and that the motor is not mounted forward or after the crossmember too much. I think it will probably be a better fit as the inline BM 6’s sit a long way forward.

I also spoke to the Rodshop in VIC who said no sump mods needed which is another bonus!

Now we just need to get the VATS system disabled which is fairly simple if yiu have the gear. Found a guy on ebay doing them for $40.00

Last hurdle will be the tacho and speedo, if the outputs of the GM loom wont talk to the BM will have to wire in converters and calibrate.

Still have to wait 2 weeks to pick the beast up because of work, but at least I can do some homework in the meant time.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Some good progress knowledge wise there.  Def looking fwd to following this.

Claude2012
    Participant

Finally get to pick the car up this week and am itching to get into it!The one and only photo I have attached.

Found some leather seats on Gumtree for $120 front and rear, they are grey unfortunately, but a mate swears he can change them to black for me.

Another Gumtree score some 17 inch M3 wheels for $400 with 70% tread tyres.

Will post some proper pics when she gets home before stripping it down.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That seems like and awesome score for the M3 wheels, following this one :)

Claude2012
    Participant

Finally got her home tonight, she runs like a trooper, so hopefully will be able to sell the drive line when the ecotec goes in. Paint is great in some places average in others, but all panels are straight which is great. Will be respraying the front bumper, and M3 style side skirts before they are fitted. Pick up the M3 rear bumper along with wheels next week.

Couple of things I noticed in whilst it was pissing down on the way home, like the sun roof not closing or the drivers side window! Lucky its a project car….

Interior is a dogs breakfast and kinda smells like an old german train. Not to worry though its all part of the plan to restore it as well.

Now to put in the application with Transport SA and see what they want done before I spend where I dont need to.

Will start sourcing new bushes, struts, springs etc this week. I always like to rebuild the suspension first, followed by brakes, then the drive line.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Claude2012 Claude2012.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

They really were a nice looking car the BMW for that era I reckon, just all the lines etc look right and in proportion.

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

The seats you’ll be able to colour no worries. Mate has been slowly doing his e36 m3 interior. Bought brand new door trims from Germany but they were a purple colour and his interior was cream. Came out quite good for a home job.

Profile photo of Claude79
    Claude79
    Participant

Well I have been playing during the week and found the first batch of issues.

• Window regulators is an oddball type and I will be scouring the wreckers as they are $274.00 each new!
    • Sunroof mechanism is well over engineered and way too many parts
    • Paint after even after a cut and polish is not up to scratch.
    • Door seals are stuffed

Positives are

• Found an awesome wrecker who has complete sunroof for $70.00, almost brand new door seals for $7.00 each, complete glove box like new $40.00 and almost everything you could ever need for bugger all with a warranty.
    • Panels are very straight except for a few tiny dents that will pop out nicely.
    • Found a Euro parts dealer, who is selling bushes, ball joints etc for bugger all.

The decision has been made to respray the car with my father in a make shift booth before winter, cost for paint, primer clear coat etc $500 ish, gotta be careful with the dollars now! I will be making a spreadsheet to accurately document costs, so it doesn’t blow out.

Will post some pics up over the weekend

Profile photo of rev
    rev
    Participant

What happed to the swap

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.